Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing Pressure and Medicare
Changing Pressure and Medicare
Im on Medicare and have to send the data card every month to my DME. I changed my pressures on my APAP today upon recommendations from other knowledgeable people about to improve my therapy.

How does that impact the info sent to the DME and/or Medicare pertaining to being paid for my machine rental, versus the Dr's prescription pressures?

Thanks all.
Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing Pressure and Medicare
Medicare only cares about compliance. Days and hours used.

Most DMEs don't look beyond that. And, since they wish to be paid, any fuss will not stop you from getting the machine paid for.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare is most likely looking at compliance, not your pressure settings. If I remember correctly, Medicare requires that you are using the machine no less than 4 hours a night for 30 consecutive days within the first 3 months rental period.

Some DME's or Doctors may get their feathers ruffled a bit about you taking charge of your therapy, but again they may not. I think their main concern is that you are compliant, because if not, Medicare will stop paying them rent. I wouldn't worry about it, you have to do what's best for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 10:58 PM)justMongo Wrote: Medicare only cares about compliance. Days and hours used.

Most DMEs don't look beyond that. And, since they wish to be paid, any fuss will not stop you from getting the machine paid for.
Thank you, Mongo!

I read in another post elsewhere that you were an Airman? Can I assume you were USAF? I am retired Air Force MSgt.

Mark

(12-13-2015, 11:02 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Medicare is most likely looking at compliance, not your pressure settings. If I remember correctly, Medicare requires that you are using the machine no less than 4 hours a night for 30 consecutive days within the first 3 months rental period.

Some DME's or Doctors may get their feathers ruffled a bit about you taking charge of your therapy, but again they may not. I think their main concern is that you are compliant, because if not, Medicare will stop paying them rent. I wouldn't worry about it, you have to do what's best for you.
OpalRose, My Dr is a pretty decent guy. The DME I have dealt with before, but back before I turned 65 and was on an HMO and Military medical, trying to make an old BiPAP machine work for me (without success).
Thanks!
Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare does not give a rats patooti what your pressure is or who set it as long as you were diagnosed by home study or sleep lab, have a prescription, do the two face to face dr meets and are compliant.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 11:18 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I read in another post elsewhere that you were an Airman? Can I assume you were USAF? I am retired Air Force MSgt.

Mark

USAF NKP Thailand and Da Nang RVN.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2015, 12:27 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(12-13-2015, 11:18 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I read in another post elsewhere that you were an Airman? Can I assume you were USAF? I am retired Air Force MSgt.

Mark

USAF NKP Thailand and Da Nang RVN.
And I thank you wholeheartedly for your service during a bad time in history. Thanks
I spent 4 years in Korea during peacetime. Did 20.5 years.

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 250 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.