Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing from Pillows to Full Face Mask
Changing from Pillows to Full Face Mask
Hello again,
I've started my CPAP a little rough, but I'm currently heading down a better path (I hope).

The first two months I struggled using Pillows (I couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep). My original prescription was set at 6 (using a pillow during a sleep study), then upped to 7 to try and help my breathing for sleep. It helped some but not near enough.

I then tried a full face mask. Now sleeping is no problem. But the problem is my numbers went up and I don't feel well rested at all.

My numbers are.....
(5 day average before and after) -

Pillows_______Full Face
0.98____AHI____3.39
0.54____CA ____1.05
0.27____OA_____0.60
0.16_____H_____1.73

The numbers to me show a significant difference. I know they are both under 5 (which should be good). I'm staying asleep with the Full Face but come morning I'm just not feeling rested.

Should the pressure be adjusted when going to a Full Face. If so, should I go down to my original prescription or up to see if it helps?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing from Pillows to Full Face Mask
theroefam, also if you can post your leaks rates especially the 95 percentile.
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak rates were both very low.

Between 0-6 at the 95% with Pillows
Between 0-4 at the 95% with Full face

I did change the setting on the ResMed A10 Elite
Post Reply Post Reply
It could just be you are truly getting the treatment you need and are just playing catch up with your sleep. You need to give it some time. I've also made the switch from pillows to FFM (then back again). Make sure you have the FFM that fits you right. There are a lot out there. I have no idea what the 0-4 means on the A10s. Is that what the screen says or are you using software?

Either way, give it time. More than just a few nights. As long as the leaks stay low and the AHI is low, it could just be your body is enjoying sleeping too much and wants to stay there!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Paula, leave it a couple of months
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board theroafam!
I think just relax and stay the course for a week or so, then take a look at the data. The most important part is to keep with it. There are so man things to get used to on therapy, so give yourself time. It's not a race and anything under 5 is great. You may find your AHI numbers drop as you get used to everything. Many of us felt tired after starting therapy, as our bodies go "Yeah! I like this. MORE!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people need a little more pressure with a FFM. The FFM can push your jaw back and make your airway a little smaller.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others as to leave alone for a little while and see how you do.

The only thing I see that you might watch for is make sure your mask is not on too tight. A very low leak rate can be a sign of too tight, which could cause stress.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go with the leave it alone for a bit school of thought as well. When I was going through my mask search process, I noticed that my AHI's varied depending on the type of mask with FFM being the highest. Best of luck on the journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am FFM and often AHI under 5, rarely under 3. There is a bit more volume to fill with air, so the designed leak rate is higher and the reaction time of the machine to inhales and exhales has a greater lag time. That can be interesting if you have EPR or pressure relief settings high.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,599 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.