Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing from a FFM to a nasal mask causes a significant drop in AHI
Changing from a FFM to a nasal mask causes a significant drop in AHI
I started with APAP about 7 months ago. Since the start I've used the Amara view mask that was provided for the titration test. I knew that after 6 months I cold get a new mask through Medicare so I though I'd give the Dreamwear nasal mask a try. It worked out very well with the first month AHI averaging about 1 compared to about 3 for the last month with the Arma View mask. I'm certainly pleased with the results but I am curious why the big drop in AHI when other parameters like leakage seem not to have changed. My only guess it that the Dreamwear mask is much more comfortable for side sleeping and I may be sleeping more on my side.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing from a FFM to a nasal mask causes a significant drop in AHI
This is not discussed often but full face masks should really be only used as last resort. Essentially, they leak more than nasals especially under your lip as your jaw drops while you sleep. If you reduce those leaks by tightening the mask, this pushes your jaw back towards your throat, creating more obstruction. Its a vicious circle of increasing pressure, increasing leaks and increasing obstructive events. Unless you have a severe nasal impediment go with a nasal mask. I have a severely deviated septum and enlarged turbinate and find that the humidity and hot air help clear my nose and actually make me breathe well through it but without the mask, my nose cloggs up instantly when i lie down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2016, 10:05 PM)johnthesleeper Wrote: This is not discussed often but full face masks should really be only used as last resort. Essentially, they leak more than nasals especially under your lip as your jaw drops while you sleep. If you reduce those leaks by tightening the mask, this pushes your jaw back towards your throat, creating more obstruction. Its a vicious circle of increasing pressure, increasing leaks and increasing obstructive events. Unless you have a severe nasal impediment go with a nasal mask. I have a severely deviated septum and enlarged turbinate and find that the humidity and hot air help clear my nose and actually make me breathe well through it but without the mask, my nose cloggs up instantly when i lie down.

I will disagree with the "only as a last resort" statement. First, the Amara View is not a typical full face mask. Second, I have used my full face mask for 2 or three years and do not think that I have ever dropped my jaw far enough to end up with the bottom seal leaking. I have done some testing with it and the bottom seal allows a lot of movement without any leaks. This presumes that one is using the correctly sized mask.

I have also tested the "jaw push back" by the tension on the mask. I have pulled the lower straps as hard as I can with mask in place without causing any increased pressure on the lower jaw let alone any backward movement which would create increased obstruction.

Full face masks require a little more tension in the headgear due to the fact that there is more force pushing away from your face.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2016, 09:20 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I started with APAP about 7 months ago. Since the start I've used the Amara view mask that was provided for the titration test. I knew that after 6 months I cold get a new mask through Medicare so I though I'd give the Dreamwear nasal mask a try. It worked out very well with the first month AHI averaging about 1 compared to about 3 for the last month with the Arma View mask. I'm certainly pleased with the results but I am curious why the big drop in AHI when other parameters like leakage seem not to have changed. My only guess it that the Dreamwear mask is much more comfortable for side sleeping and I may be sleeping more on my side.

I'm new to all of this (first week) and the DME started me with the Amara View Mask. Tomorrow I am getting the Dreamwear and I am quite excited to see the results with it. The Amara still caused a claustrophobic feel and I reported a ton of leaks and high AHI (7.2) one night. Glad to hear you like the Dreamwear!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used several nasal mask when starting with cpap. I have moved to a FFM that leaks a lot says Sleepyhead. I ordered a FitLife total-face mask. As I try it it does put a lot of pressure on my lower jaw. My jaw is already pushed back and it has not worked out for me. I have tried to use the mouth things the pull the lower jaw out. I did not like them at all. so I am back to my old FFM and leaks. I am sure that I will keep working on the problem. I welcome any Ideas folks. My sleep has improved but it is still way out of wack. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
I also switched from FFM to the Dream Wear. I used to get some Hypopneas and Obstructive events. As soon as I switched I started getting CA events only. I only get a couple a night, so I haven't worried about it.
I think the machine scores the events differently for this mask than for the FFM.
If I didn't like the Dream Wear so much , I would try the FFM again just to see if my events change back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 54 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,930 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.