Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing masks
Changing masks
They scheduled me to come in tomorrow and get a different mask. Only been on bipap 15 days now. They have been monitoring it thru the modem and apparently it's not "doing its job". I'm not sure what, if any questions I should ask? I hope I don't need the full blown crazy headgear one. The last few nights I've only been keeping my mask on half the night. I'm so scared to wAke up having those tremendously unbarable pains from aerophagia. They also told me over the phone that 'I need that pressure' setting. Which is 14
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing masks
Sweetdreams, do you know why they started you on a full face mask? That might be one question to ask. My sleep lab started me off with nasal pillows. From what I understand, they usually don't "graduate" you to bigger masks unless there's a reason or the nasal ones aren't working for you.

For me personally, the pillows seal well around my nostrils and I haven't had mask leaks that are problematic.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sweetdreams2013,
Yeah, sometimes full-face masks, )FFMs,) can be quite proned to leaks and that might be what they are concerned about, just ask them when you go to try on different masks.
Good luck in finding the right mask for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If the sleep study found that you are a mouth breather, a full face mask would certainly be the logical choice. Nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 have a poor success rate.

When you wake up in the night, do you already feel bloated and are afraid of making it worse?

One thing to point out to your doctor is that, even though you supposedly "need" a pressure of 14, unless your aerophagia is dealt with, you might end up with a pressure of 0. Temporarily lowering your pressure so you can acclimate is better than not getting treatment at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I already knew I was a mouth breather before my sleep studies. I had mentioned I wanted the FFM. Ill just see what masks are presented today and hope for the best
Post Reply Post Reply
RonWessels Wrote:If the sleep study found that you are a mouth breather, a full face mask would certainly be the logical choice. Nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 have a poor success rate.

That would be incorrect. I have a pressure range of 12-17 with the 95% being between 16 and 17. My leak rate is great. It was better with the Breeze nasal pillow but still well within norms with the one I have now.

Sweetdreams2013 Wrote:I already knew I was a mouth breather before my sleep studies. I had mentioned I wanted the FFM. Ill just see what masks are presented today and hope for the best

There's also trying a chinstrap. There's several different kinds from the simple wide band to fairly high tech. Ask about those and give them a try.

Then, download SleepyHead and look at your data yourself.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 12:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
RonWessels Wrote:If the sleep study found that you are a mouth breather, a full face mask would certainly be the logical choice. Nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 have a poor success rate.

That would be incorrect. I have a pressure range of 12-17 with the 95% being between 16 and 17. My leak rate is great. It was better with the Breeze nasal pillow but still well within norms with the one I have now.

Sorry, I was unclear. Based on videos from <hmm, the forum doesn't seem to like his YouTube ID - search for "CPAP" in YouTube videos to find them> (who I think is a DME technician, but who has very helpful mask reviews based on his clients usage), nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 tend to have a poor compliance success rate. Apparently people tend not to like them at the higher pressures for various reasons.

I am envious of your ability to use nasal pillows at your pressure level.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2013, 12:25 AM)RonWessels Wrote: If the sleep study found that you are a mouth breather, a full face mask would certainly be the logical choice.

FFMs have several drawbacks. Unless you can't breathe through your nose, I think you should always try a nasal mask and chinstrap before giving up and settling on a FFM.

(07-10-2013, 12:25 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 have a poor success rate.

That's a persistent myth, but I don't think there's any data to support it. Quite a few people report successfully using nasal pillows at high pressure. My Swift FX works fine at 16 to 18.

FFMs are no panacea for high pressures. They may have leak problems at low pressure and high pressure even makes it worse.

Some DMEs tend to push FFMs because they're sort of the "last resort" and the DME doesn't want to work to find the right mask, so they go straight to FFM.

However, if you can't make a nasal mask work, sometimes the FFM is the best you can do.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2013, 04:14 PM)archangle Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 12:25 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Nasal pillows at pressures greater than 10 have a poor success rate.
That's a persistent myth, but I don't think there's any data to support it. Quite a few people report successfully using nasal pillows at high pressure. My Swift FX works fine at 16 to 18.

As I tried to clarify in my subsequent post, I don't doubt that there are people that use nasal pillows at high pressures. However, people on this board are probably not necessarily a representative sample of all CPAP users. A YouTube poster who posts video reviews of CPAP masks and machines, and who implies that he is either a doctor or DME technician and therefore sees many many CPAP patients, claims that his experience is that nasal pillows at high pressures do not seem to be favoured by the majority of patients he sees.

I have no first-hand knowledge in the matter, other than I was able to acclimate to my nasal mask before I acclimated to some nasal pillows, so I ended up giving up trying since I had something that worked.
Post Reply Post Reply
On days when nose stuffed-up, I use full face mask and set the machine at CPAP 10 as cannot control leaks if pressure set any higher but of course everyone is different ... use whatever works best for you and don,t listen to grumpy old man oldman

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 137 3 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,729 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 513 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 441 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 251 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 445 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 328 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.