Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing my own pressure
Changing my own pressure
I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month and it's been working great except now I'm laying on one side for hours at a time unlike before when I would toss and turn all night. I'm now experiencing lots of neck issues and arms falling asleep. I would like to sleep on my back, but the doctor at the sleep clinic thinks my pressure is fine because I slept on my back for a whole 15 minutes during my sleep study (with CPAP) and achieved REM during that time. I also had 7 apneas during the 15 minutes. I've tried sleeping on my back at home and after 40 minutes of intermittent sleeping I checked my machine and I had 19 apneas during that time. If I'm still renting the machine, can I get in trouble for adjusting the pressure myself?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing my own pressure
This may sound crazy but I had the same trouble with discomfort staying on my sides for prolonged periods of time, but I ended up getting a new mattress and the problem was solved. How old is your mattress? Also, you really don't want to be on your back. Hopefully someone will be along to answer the getting in trouble for adjusting pressures question for you. Best of luck on your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 08:34 AM)Tobriah Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month and it's been working great except now I'm laying on one side for hours at a time unlike before when I would toss and turn all night. I'm now experiencing lots of neck issues and arms falling asleep. I would like to sleep on my back, but the doctor at the sleep clinic thinks my pressure is fine because I slept on my back for a whole 15 minutes during my sleep study (with CPAP) and achieved REM during that time. I also had 7 apneas during the 15 minutes. I've tried sleeping on my back at home and after 40 minutes of intermittent sleeping I checked my machine and I had 19 apneas during that time. If I'm still renting the machine, can I get in trouble for adjusting the pressure myself?

Hi Tobriah,
You shouldn't have to lay on one side for hours at a time! I wouldn't be able to get out of bed if I did that. :grin:
Granted, it is true for most people, not all, that laying on your back will result in a higher AHI number. I turn from side to side all night long and sometimes end up
on my back for awhile.
I dont know what your situation is as far as renting machine, but it should make no difference if you changed your pressure settings. It looks like you have an Auto CPAP set at a straight pressure. If your worried, ask your Doc. to set machine on Auto and set a range of pressure. If he won't do it, someone here can help you.
What is your AHI number now?
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually DO want to lie on my back. I have a newer mattress. I do have an auto set, but I'm not sure what the range is. I have an appointment with a doctor at the sleep clinic in a few weeks, but it didn't sound like he was going to want to adjust my pressure range. I'm on a rent to own plan with the insurance for 9 months and then the machine will be mine. Just wondering if anyone knew what would happen insurance wise if I went ahead and adjust the pressure myself until I had less apneas on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 09:21 AM)Tobriah Wrote: I actually DO want to lie on my back. I have a newer mattress. I do have an auto set, but I'm not sure what the range is. I have an appointment with a doctor at the sleep clinic in a few weeks, but it didn't sound like he was going to want to adjust my pressure range. I'm on a rent to own plan with the insurance for 9 months and then the machine will be mine. Just wondering if anyone knew what would happen insurance wise if I went ahead and adjust the pressure myself until I had less apneas on my back.

Tobriah,
Insurance only cares if you are in compliance; meaning using the machine a minimum of 4 hours a day for at least 30 consecutive days. Insurance doesn't care about pressure changes.

Now your sleep doc might not like it if you change pressure, but you need to explain to him or her that you want to do whatever is necessary to be compliant, and that you feel a range of pressure would work best for you.
Just an example of my sleep study, they titrated me at a pressure of 9. But the reality of it is that they were pretty close, but it is only one night.
My pressure usually stays at 10.5 90% of the time. I've seen it go up to 12 on a few occasions.
So if I left it set at a pressure of 9, there would be a few apneas not taken care of!
My pressure is set at 8 to 14. Good luck!
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 08:34 AM)Tobriah Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for a little over a month and it's been working great except now I'm laying on one side for hours at a time unlike before when I would toss and turn all night. I'm now experiencing lots of neck issues and arms falling asleep. I would like to sleep on my back, but the doctor at the sleep clinic thinks my pressure is fine because I slept on my back for a whole 15 minutes during my sleep study (with CPAP) and achieved REM during that time. I also had 7 apneas during the 15 minutes. I've tried sleeping on my back at home and after 40 minutes of intermittent sleeping I checked my machine and I had 19 apneas during that time. If I'm still renting the machine, can I get in trouble for adjusting the pressure myself?

It is highly unlikely the cpap police will come knocking at your door. I love being able to finally, after years and years, being able to sleep on my back. So I definitely consider it a goal to strive towards.

Some folks just cannot do that. But in your case I think it's a matter of finding the appropriate settings on your machine, and you'll be fine.

You have an autoset machine. The reason it's called an autoset, is to allow for differences in apnea events that occur due to circumstances. So call your doc, and ask him if he would be so kind as to instruct the DME to change your machine to Auto, with a minimum of say 7, and a maximum of say 11 to begin with. If he says "no, doctor knows best..." come back and we'll go from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only have a few apneas per hour laying on my side, but as soon as I switch to my back I constantly wake up. I tried it on two occasions and like I said it was up to 19 apneas in 40 minutes. The bed at the sleep clinic was so hard I couldn't get comfortable on my back to even see what the pressure should be set at for that position. Rem sleep or not, if I'm waking up constantly, that should be an indicator that it's not working. I have had many arm, neck and spine issues for years and my chiropractor suggested sleeping on my back. I finally have a bed and pillow that work for me to sleep on my back and I just need to get this apnea thing worked out...I'm so tired!!! My fingers are numb because of pinched nerves in my neck and my arms are super crabby. I think I'm going to go ahead and up the range just by one to see if that helps, hopefully nobody gets too upset. thank you OpalRose
Post Reply Post Reply
retired_guy I think that's where I'm already at, the gal at the sleep clinic didn't sound like the dr was going to make any adjustments because I got REM sleep in the 15 short minutes that I was at the clinic with the CPAP on. She said I could come in and talk to the dr, but it's pointless for me to pay for an appointment where I'm going to get the "Dr knows best" speech. I think I'm going to be a rebel and take matters into my own hands.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 11:24 AM)Tobriah Wrote: retired_guy I think that's where I'm already at, the gal at the sleep clinic didn't sound like the dr was going to make any adjustments because I got REM sleep in the 15 short minutes that I was at the clinic with the CPAP on. She said I could come in and talk to the dr, but it's pointless for me to pay for an appointment where I'm going to get the "Dr knows best" speech. I think I'm going to be a rebel and take matters into my own hands.

Well Toby, we are all about "Patient Empowerment" around here, so you go girl, we'll watch your back side.

Now download the Sleephead software and begin using it so you can see what it going on. Remember the rule is small changes, then wait for a few days before deciding what to do next. Going to "auto" when you've been on cpap is not necessarily a small thing, but I think it's something that is needed in order to address positional sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
what is this sleephead software you speak of? and only my mom is allowed to call me Toby lol
I'm still required to send my data card in once a month to the medical supply company, not sure if I can use this software of not
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 400 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 276 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 402 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 433 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.