Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing my own pressure
RE: Changing my own pressure

(03-23-2015, 11:41 AM)Tobriah Wrote: what is this sleephead software you speak of? and only my mom is allowed to call me Toby lol

I'm still required to send my data card in once a month to the medical supply company, not sure if I can use this software of not

Click the link at the top of the page for "Sleepyhead." Download to your machine & install. Lots of how-to's are there for you.

You can daily, weekly or whateverly import your statistics to Sleepyhead without concern about having to send the card into your medical supply company once in awhile.

Have fun experimenting Toby,

Love, mom.
Post Reply Post Reply
lol thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tobriah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it to work for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
so...I just got into the clinical mode on my machine and it isn't set for "auto set" it's set for CPAP with a pressure of 8 with an EPR of 3, not sure I'm getting the full benefits from this machine with those settings
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope. You want to change CPAP to AUTO, then define low at 7 or 8, and max at maybe 10 or 11.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 02:18 PM)Tobriah Wrote: so...I just got into the clinical mode on my machine and it isn't set for "auto set" it's set for CPAP with a pressure of 8 with an EPR of 3, not sure I'm getting the full benefits from this machine with those settings

All you get in CPAP mode is a really nice printout of what would have been fixed if the machine was set to auto, which it wasn't. 8-)

As near as I can tell, setting an auto machine to manual is only useful if you happen to be a doctor or own a sleep lab and need more business. 8-)

Auto is much better, since you not only get to see the data, the machine will try to eliminate your apneas instead of just reporting them.

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 02:18 PM)Tobriah Wrote: so...I just got into the clinical mode on my machine and it isn't set for "auto set" it's set for CPAP with a pressure of 8 with an EPR of 3, not sure I'm getting the full benefits from this machine with those settings
Welcome Tobriah,
I would agree totally with Retired_guy , start with a min. of 7 and a max of 11, your EPR is the relief you get on exhale so 3 is the most you can get, now remember just because you set your maximum to 11 doesn't mean it will go that high, but it has the option to if needed to stop the apnea, also with a starting pressure of 7, I would try not to use your ramp but if you feel you need it try 5 minutes of ramp not 45mins.
Probably to most important thing here is to download the Sleepyhead software so you can track your progress.
Don't worry I won't call you Toby. Smile
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Some do get the benefit of a set pressure once a suitable pressure is determined. Butm I agree you'll want auto for a while to get the correct pressure point.

good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry about sending your card to the dme. The reason they need the card is to prove compliance. Meaning they need to show the insurance company that you are actually using the machine. In my case I had to be using the machine at least 95% of the time in order for the insurance company to continue to pay for it. I only had to show compliance for 2 months and then it was mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 03:11 PM)Terry Wrote: All you get in CPAP mode is a really nice printout of what would have been fixed if the machine was set to auto, which it wasn't. 8-)

As near as I can tell, setting an auto machine to manual is only useful if you happen to be a doctor or own a sleep lab and need more business. 8-)

Auto is much better, since you not only get to see the data, the machine will try to eliminate your apneas instead of just reporting them.

I must disagree. Auto is better for many, if not most, people. For some people, manual CPAP is better than auto.

The pressure changes may bother some people.

You may have apnea for a while before the machine adjusts the pressure upward.

The auto machine doesn't always find "THE" right pressure. Not everyone has apnea up to a certain pressure, at which apnea stops. The machine may end up hunting and never finding the sweet spot.

Some people may trade a slightly lower pressure for comfort, gas, etc. vs. the "right" pressure the APAP will find.

Sometimes, there are more subtle problems such as UARS or flow limitations that mean you need a higher pressure than the APAP wants to provide.

With a good manual machine, and with someone competent monitoring the data and adjusting pressure as needed, manual therapy will work better than Auto for some CPAP'ers.

I don't understand your comment about data. A good manual CPAP gives you a readout of the way your therapy is actually working for you.

I will agree everyone should get an APAP machine, since it can be set to manual or auto. I don't agree the machines should always be set to run in Auto mode.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 395 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 272 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 400 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.