Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing pressure rating
Changing pressure rating
Within the past year I have lost 122 lbs. I think I need to lower my pressure rating (currently at 14), but unfortunately I cannot afford a new sleep study at this time. If I use my machine now, I wake up with a bad headache and very dry mouth (I do use a humidifyer). Do any of you have any past experience with weight loss and how it affects your pressure rating?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing pressure rating
I wish! I'd love to lose some major poundage. Have you talked with your sleep doc to see what (s)he recommends? Did you check with your insurance company as to how often and under what circumstances they will pay for a study?

Oh; and welcome to the board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have lost that much weight, yes, your pressure has changed.

You could try to slowly lower it, a little at a time. I think the recommendation is .5 at a time, with at least a week between changes, longer if you can.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

Which Respironics machine do you have? Is it an autoPAP?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2012, 08:35 PM)sapodaca5095 Wrote: I wake up with a bad headache and very dry mouth (I do use a humidifyer).

That sounds like your mouth is opening and letting the air out when you sleep. If that's happening, it can prevent your therapy from working and will dry out your mouth. You've got to fix that. You may need to use a chin strap or a full face mask.

Mouth leaks are much more important that the wrong pressure. Lots of us have to fight "mouth breathing" when doing CPAP.

Too much pressure probably won't give you dry mouth or a headache, but it does make it more likely for your mouth to come open and leak air.

What particular Philips machine do you have? It should say something like Plus, Pro, or Auto near the display.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get congested you would breathe through your mouth even more, dry out your mouth and waking up with a sinus headache. Try turn up or down the humidifier setting see which is better for you as everyone is different some need more than others while some need none. If your machine is data capable it gives AHI and leak data which can help determine the effectiveness of the therapy and even better if its APAP.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 273 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Surprised Apap- changing settings Swsch2985 2 400 01-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.