Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Changing settings to eliminate Aerophagia
Changing settings to eliminate Aerophagia
Hi there!
I'm new to this forum and I'm a new user of Cpap (Autopap to be specific).

I'm experiencing great benefit from my Dreamstation unit,
however I'm also experiencing aerophagia (bloating) from my Cpap
use.

My initial ramp settings for the unit were 4cmH2O to 20cmH20.
The high end seemed too strong as it was waking me.
I asked my physician to authorize a change of the high end settings down to 
16cmH2O. This seemed to be a good step in the right direction.
I'm sleeping well with my AHI readings averaging 3.5 for this month.

The only issue I have now is abdominal bloating. I would like to know if
lowering the pressure a little bit more might help resolve this issue.

I looked at the posted link to the document explaining how to change the settings myself,
however my ramp setting displays a small icon of a 'lock' and does not
respond to any attempts to change the settings when I click the dial to make
a change. Is it safe to assume I need my physicians permission to make a change?

I did call him and ask for the first change, which he agreed to without any problem.
Just wondering if I could still do this on my own or if my device is locked down.

Any suggestions and insights on eliminating aerophagia or changing my settings are appreciated.

Thank you,

Surfbear  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Changing settings to eliminate Aerophagia
If your machine is listed HERE you will be able to bypass the lock & adjust the machine's pressure yourself. Of course it makes sense to do plenty of reading here on the forum first so you feel confident in trying your own adjustments. Aerophagia is indeed more of an issue at higher pressures for many.

I suffer a bit with aerophagia at lower pressures than you are using. At pressures less than 10 I am waking with bloated discomfort in the mornings, which at it's worst causes back pain. However It has been a bit better since I raised the head end of the bed. Using extra pillows is something I don't want to do as it would aggravate a neck condition I have, but for many it apparently helps to sleep a bit more upright. Others report that their body somehow adjusts & they just get used to it. I'm still waiting for that to happen, but most days the gas is 'released' when I get up & move around. I have been known to get up for a short but 'tuneful' wander around the house before returning to bed for another more comfortable snooze or cuddle with my wife. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Lowering the pressure worked for me to reduce the bloat. After several months I raised it up with no discomfort. As far as a Locked machine, Check out the link at the top of the forum on your machine.

Search this forum for aerophagia you will find good info.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2017, 02:48 AM)Cuppa Wrote: "If your machine is listed HERE you will be able to bypass the lock & adjust the machine's pressure yourself. Of course it makes sense to do plenty of reading here on the forum first so you feel confident in trying your own adjustments.  Aerophagia is indeed more of an issue at higher pressures for many.

I suffer a bit with aerophagia at lower pressures than you are using. At pressures less than 10 I am waking with bloated discomfort in the mornings, which at it's worst causes back pain. However It has been a bit better since I raised the head end of the bed. Using extra pillows is something I don't want to do as it would aggravate a neck condition I have, but for many it apparently helps to sleep a bit more upright. Others report that their body somehow adjusts & they just get used to it. I'm still waiting for that to happen, but most days the gas is 'released' when I get up & move around. I have been known to get up for a short but 'tuneful' wander around the house before returning to bed for another more comfortable snooze or cuddle with my wife. Smile"
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply. The steps posted to access the editing settings for my unit did indeed function when I powered the unit off and plugged it back in again. I had previously followed the steps beyond the point of plugging the device in and powering it up (since it was already powered on). Your post motivated me to try again.
  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
you said "My initial ramp settings for the unit were 4cmH2O to 20cmH20."
I question if this was your Ramp or your therapy settings.
Assuming it is therapy it is/was set wide open and while not a bad choice for an initial setting it really needs to be tweaked into a much narrower band, narrower than the 4-16.  The Dreamstation you have is the best of the line, it is a very good machine but by design it responds slowly, and as such your settings need to be tuned.  Could you please download SleepyHead software and post your charts.  Pay attention to the organization of the charts, what is displayed is important.  See my sig for how.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2017, 12:42 PM)bonjour Wrote: you said "My initial ramp settings for the unit were 4cmH2O to 20cmH20."
I question if this was your Ramp or your therapy settings.
Assuming it is therapy it is/was set wide open and while not a bad choice for an initial setting it really needs to be tweaked into a much narrower band, narrower than the 4-16.  The Dreamstation you have is the best of the line, it is a very good machine but by design it responds slowly, and as such your settings need to be tuned.  Could you please download SleepyHead software and post your charts.  Pay attention to the organization of the charts, what is displayed is important.  See my sig for how.

I have downloaded the software and am currently working to get the SD card to show
the data from the cpap unit. It doesn't appear to have been storing any data from the 
last 30 days of use.

I will be happy to post the data/graphs when I'm able to get things up and running.

Thank you for your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Surfbear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2017, 03:27 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Surfbear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.

Thanks trish6hundred!! 

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand our APAP machine it only retains a minor info to the internal memory. The SD card stores all the data produced.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 601 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,647 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.