Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Charge for built in humidifier?
Money 
Charge for built in humidifier?
I'm getting a ResMed 10 and I noticed the bill included a charge for the built in humidifier. Is this normal? When I asked about it they took about 10 minutes researching and came back and said it was a mandatory charge (that I couldn't have the ResMed 10 w/o it). Does anyone have any experience with this?

David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Charge for built in humidifier?
We've seen another person ask the same question. Since the humidifier in integral to the A10 machine, the DMEs are attempting to make this charge. Other machines have separate humidifiers; and they were able to charge for those.

As for normal -- too few data points to say it's normal. It may be that they are committing insurance fraud -- time will tell.
I am not a lawyer; but IMHO: it is an illegal charge when dealing with insurance.
We'll know when the CEO of the DME is frog-marched out in shackles!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I called my insurance company to make sure that this charge was legit. They spoke with the DME and they said that while it is a single unit, if you turn it over the unit says CPAP on one side and Humidifier on the other so that justifies them billing for both. That satisfied the insurance company so now I guess I'll be paying for 20% of the built-in humidifier (co-pay).

I'm still interested in anyone else's experiences with this.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 12:06 PM)davidy Wrote: I'm getting a ResMed 10 and I noticed the bill included a charge for the built in humidifier. Is this normal? When I asked about it they took about 10 minutes researching and came back and said it was a mandatory charge (that I couldn't have the ResMed 10 w/o it). Does anyone have any experience with this?

David

Sounds like B.S. to me. My B.S. meter just went ape when I read your post. It does sound like what some DMEs are touting.

If you can not get the A10 without the humidifier then it should be included in the price. At least that is the way that I see it. This may be a hangover from when the humidifier was more obviously separate and the CPAP could be purchased without a humidifier.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh for...It isn't two units. You can't take them apart like you could the S9. You can't get just the machine or just the humidifier. The DME is screwing the insurance company.

But then, it sounds as if the insurance company kinda likes that kind of kink. What a crock of bloney.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The DME logic goes like this: The cost for the S10 includes a humidifier; the Insurance company has a set price for an APAP device that does not take an included humidifier into consideration and is the static, no matter what options are included. The separate charge is meant to cover a humidifier whether separate or included. I would be willing to bet Insurance companies are updating their language to support this, and that they will create a new code for combined, over time, but until there is a code for combined, this is the best compromise. If the DME were making out much better on this than on the S9, I am guessing more of us n00bs with S9s would have been given S10s, but maybe we are just sucking up old stock.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 12:43 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Sounds like B.S. to me. My B.S. meter just went ape when I read your post. It does sound like what some DMEs are touting.

If you can not get the A10 without the humidifier then it should be included in the price. At least that is the way that I see it. This may be a hangover from when the humidifier was more obviously separate and the CPAP could be purchased without a humidifier.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

[Image: bs.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see the humidifier water tub offered as an accessory on the ResMed site. Nor do I see the unit offered without a humidifier. So I don't believe they should charge separately for the for the water tub. AFAIK, the only way the unit could work without the humidifier is if there was some sort of accessory bypass tube that was installed, and I can't find any such gadget on their site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi davidy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that is true, you can buy an end cap for them to use when your not using the humidifier , that's part of the reason Insurance is so high , I could have bought my whole set up, machine mask and whatever's for around $1100 but no the Insurance was willing to pay something like $1600 so guess what ? yep your right.

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.