Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chasing low level leaks
RE: Chasing low level leaks
Cleaned both gaskets, elbow and checked hoses.

Here's the result.

I may try KY jelly for the main gasket to see if that fully seals when connected to the humidifier.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That is an odd looking flow rate chart. Is that what it typically looks like?
Post Reply Post Reply
No.  That was a 10 minute run after washing the components.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I'll chalk it up as just strange awake breathing.

That Brevida mask should probably be considered a pillows mask type, worth trying to see if that has any effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow up:
Purchased new P10 mask.  All settings as previously used, except I switched back to APAP to see the pressure range over a couple of days that I've gotten this mask.

My setup:
P10 under Knightsbridge cap, dental mouthguard for Bruxism, BSN tape for mouth/lip fluttering.

The machine:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, new climalite tube, new humidifier tank.  Using a hose holder so that keeps the tube secure.
Setting on Pillows in the menu.

As you can see on the attached graph, there's a constant leak at 6L/min.

At one time added KY lubricant on the tank seal, that didn't do anything.

How do I feel?  Well, not bad, still need coffee to wake "fully" up, but lately I can go through the day and not really need a recovery nap or anything, so that's a good thing.

I guess I'm just chasing this leak to get an absolute zero, or maybe this is just this machine's baseline leak amount.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is obvious this isn't a mouth or mask leak. If this leak was real I believe you would have found it by now as there are so few places it can leak from (literally seal to humidifier tank, humidifier tank, seal/elbow to hose, hose).

Has your machine reported a leak like this since day one? If so that in my eyes would support something off with the machine itself. You could ask supplier about warranty if it bothers you that much, otherwise it doesn't appear to be affecting machine operation and since it isn't a real leak doesn't have the negative issues a real leak would have (dry mouth, noise, waking you up etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the machine since April 2018. I started using Oscar on December 12, 2020. Looking back through those charts, and where I could find a spot that my leaks weren't mask or mouth, prior to getting the kind help here, it looks like this problem with the machine was there.
Could be the leak sensor needs an offset adjustment.
It's not really a bother to be off for me. As long as I'm getting the therapy and the most obvious, feeling better.

Thanks for your help Geer1.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe I've found the source of my constant leak, and it took a home move to solve.

The Resmed's A10 rotating elbow on the back of the unit was always set with the output to the left, if facing the machine's front panel.  My new home location is quieter than the previous location ( I was next to the freeway/motorway...awful, by the way), and now I'm in a quiet location.

Since the room is quieter, I could hear the hissing from a constant leak coming from the machine and by simply rotating the elbow to the right I was able to seal up and stop the leak.

Attached is a previous night's graph which had a constant 6L/min leak, one of the better nights BTW, and the new improved leak situation. 

Feeling great, but tired from about 10 hours of moving (loading furniture, driving a couple of hours, and unloading).

Post Reply Post Reply
The elbow/seal is a piece that can be removed from machine by depressing clip on inside (hose has to be rotated fully clockwise). If you analyze how this connects to the hose you will realize that rotating the hose only rotates it relative to this elbow. The seal is made by the hose to this elbow.

If for some reason it is leaking at this location it would most likely be the hose that is the issue unless elbow piece is cracked or something like that. The seal on hose is a style that uses the CPAP pressure from inside to expand it and seal on the plastic of elbow. If there is no obvious damage or deformities to the hose seal or elbow I would think just making sure everything is well cleaned should solve the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.