Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

"Cheapest" Sleep Study
"Cheapest" Sleep Study
I have an extremely high deductible insurance.  I would have to  burden all the expense for a sleep study.    I cannot pay the $2,700 plus for a study.  All I want to know is if I have sleep apnea.  I have learned a lot in my last week of study.  I will use the Resmed 10 Auto with Sleepyhead software.  I have the Rx in my hand to purchase all the cpap equipment.

What I am asking is how can I simply determine if I have sleep apnea?  I thought about getting one of those Oxygen Saturation things you wear on you finger and wearing it for a couple of nights if I only knew how to record the data for review the next morning. Is there a really inexpensive home study?

I am very new to this area so my questions probably show my ignorance.

Thanks for your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: "Cheapest" Sleep Study
I would go rent a full data machine and for a month and see what kind of results you get on Sleepyhead. It would give you a good idea of which machine you might need if any.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gebo - Welcome
Have you looked into the expense of a home sleep study?  While not as complete or detailed as a lab study, they are considerably cheaper.  Try Googling: Home Sleep Study  You will be amazed how many there are.  I saw one for $300.  It's probably a bait price, but still a l-o-n-g way form your $2700 quote.  

The problem with purchasing a CPAP without knowing the type of apnea you have is an A10 will not address Central apneas if you happen to have those.  If you do, then you have wasted your money.  

An oximeter will only show desaturations which may or may not be from sleep apnea.  Have you had a complete cardio workup to rule out your ticker?  

Keep us posted to your new adventure.

Good luck!

Crimson
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I gotta check on renting a machine without having a sleep study.  Very interesting.  From where I went locally, I  think they must have a sleep study first.  I like the way you think.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2017, 09:55 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: ...The problem with purchasing a CPAP without knowing the type of apnea you have is an A10 will not address Central apneas if you happen to have those.  If you do, then you have wasted your money....   

Wow, so an Airsense 10 Autoset, won't address Central apnea?  I'm gonna have to do more research.  I figured one of the "best" machines with all the bells and whistles would do everything!  What machine would you use if you had central apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
I may be wrong but I think you can rent as long as you have the RX and show it to them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You would get into an ASV, which is about 3 times the cost of an A10 Autoset.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Several online retailers (see suppliers list) have home sleep study packages. Supplier #10 has one for $249. An extended family member took their sleep study package and the doc said he didn't need a machine. So, they aren't going to push one on you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gebo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Supplier #30 does home sleep studies for a reasonable price, you might take a gander at them.
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 243 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.