Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chest/Lung Restriction - Impact on CPAP use?
RE: Chest/Lung Restriction - Impact on CPAP use?
Post your OSCAR charts, we need to see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you described "choking awake while sitting up" and neck issues, it immediately made me think that a part of your problem may be positional, specifically chin-tucking. Over five years ago at Apnea Board we began seeing members with a pattern of clustered obstructive apnea, mixed with periods of quiet sleep. We wondered how could therapy be effective one minute, then suddenly be so wrong. It turns out, nearly every one of those cases was easily resolved with a soft cervical collar. The mechanism of apnea was the head tilting forward causing the airway to be obstructed. This can happen to upright, back and side sleepers in a fetal position, alike. You can simulate it by sitting comfortably in you favorite chair and relaxing, breathing with normal effort, then allow your head to tilt forward and see if your breathing becomes restricted or obstructed as you fully relax your neck muscles. Take a look at our wikis:
Positional Apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

That avatar is my buddy Louie, and he is a fun dog, but has a snoring problem I have been unable to resolve in spite of a broad knowledge of CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gideon,

At this point I'm only using the CPAP during the day while watching TV, so I don't have any Oscar data.

If you think it's safe to reduce the pressure down to 5 (with EPR still at 3), then I could see if I could sleep with it at that level. With a fixed pressure of 9 I can barely tolerate it while watching TV. Based on my sleep study, I know that a pressure level of 5 is supposed to be less than I need to prevent SA, but maybe it would be somewhat helpfu?
Post Reply Post Reply
Try 7 w EPR =3
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2021, 02:24 PM)Gideon Wrote: Try 7 w EPR =3

Will do
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2021, 08:05 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: When you described "choking awake while sitting up" and neck issues, it immediately made me think that a part of your problem may be positional, specifically chin-tucking.  Over five years ago at Apnea Board we began seeing members with a pattern of clustered obstructive apnea, mixed with periods of quiet sleep. We wondered  how could therapy be effective one minute, then suddenly be so wrong.  It turns out, nearly every one of those cases was easily resolved with a soft cervical collar.  The mechanism of apnea was the head tilting forward causing the airway to be obstructed. This can happen to upright, back and side sleepers in a fetal position, alike.  You can simulate it by sitting comfortably in you favorite chair and relaxing, breathing with normal effort, then allow your head to tilt forward and see if your breathing becomes restricted or obstructed as you fully relax your neck muscles.  Take a look at our wikis:
Positional Apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

That avatar is my buddy Louie, and he is a fun dog, but has a snoring problem I have been unable to resolve in spite of a broad knowledge of CPAP.

So, I have two cervical collars (I made a big attempt at using the CPAP a couple of years ago. One is too tall and the circumference way too big. The other is comfortable, but I'd say it still allows at least a 20 degree drop from horizontal. I'm not sure if it should hold my chin up closer to horizontal.

I'm tall and relatively slender with a neck that is maybe slightly longer than average. Do you have a recommended brand?

Louie looks like big boy and I bet he has a strong snore. My girl was petite and (thankfully!) had a really cute and soothing snore. The funny thing is, she liked to hold her up on a small pillow. Perhaps self-correcting for apnea? Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Soft cervical collar, try Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2021, 09:54 PM)pkersey Wrote: So, I have two cervical collars (I made a big attempt at using the CPAP a couple of years ago. One is too tall and the circumference way too big. The other is comfortable, but I'd say it still allows at least a 20 degree drop from horizontal. I'm not sure if it should hold my chin up closer to horizontal.

I'm tall and relatively slender with a neck that is maybe slightly longer than average.

They don't make cervical collars for us  Grin  In my case I bought a too-short-to-be-useful version (2-1/2 inches) and a good-height version (3-3/4 inches) but they were both 20 inches long. I did major surgery on the 3-3/4 inch high one, and it's now 15 inches long and works pretty well. You should use the one that's the right height to estimate the right length, and then see if you can find one online that size. Or if you are game to try some sewing I can give you instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2021, 01:55 AM)cathyf Wrote: They don't make cervical collars for us  Grin  In my case I bought a too-short-to-be-useful version (2-1/2 inches) and a good-height version (3-3/4 inches) but they were both 20 inches long. I did major surgery on the 3-3/4 inch high one, and it's now 15 inches long and works pretty well. You should use the one that's the right height to estimate the right length, and then see if you can find one online that size. Or if you are game to try some sewing I can give you instructions.

That makes sense to me. I assume it should be snug but not snug both in circumference and height?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2021, 01:55 AM)cathyf Wrote: They don't make cervical collars for us  Grin  In my case I bought a too-short-to-be-useful version (2-1/2 inches) and a good-height version (3-3/4 inches) but they were both 20 inches long. I did major surgery on the 3-3/4 inch high one, and it's now 15 inches long and works pretty well. You should use the one that's the right height to estimate the right length, and then see if you can find one online that size. Or if you are game to try some sewing I can give you instructions.

I have some likely irrational fears that the collar is going to cut off my jugular or something. Is that totally ridiculous?

I live with really bad anxiety which has likely led to a lot of my health issues. I think it got worse around when I first noticed the sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 126 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Lung Cancer and my ResMed AirCurve 10 ApneaGirl 2 303 01-30-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ApneaGirl
  Not new to CPAP, minus one lung Tyler NZ 4 411 01-20-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Tyler NZ
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 1,054 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 488 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Chest Pains. Set pressure? Dolla Bill 13 1,159 08-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Dolla Bill
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 569 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.