Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
kyhmm72 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips DreamStation
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: Philips DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Sad Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
I've been on CPAP therapy since March 25. My first month follow-up was great. I had several nights where the temperature was too warm 80-84) and my AC isn't working (should be fixed tomorrow). Those nights that it was warm, I struggled with the mask and took it off unknowingly. The last two nights have been cool, so I expected no issues.

I woke up during the night and realized I didn't have my mask on, so I put it back on, but realized a couple hours later that I didn't turn the machine on. So my question to you is, could this be the reason that my chest has hurt all day today, especially when breathing? I am quite uncomfortable and don't know whether to go get checked out or not. Wait til tomorrow and see? I'd swear I have pneumonia if I were coughing, but I'm not.

Thank you all so much.

Helen
05-05-2016 06:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

Sex: Male

RE: Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
05-05-2016 06:56 PM
cate1898 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One 560BT Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10's/backup-DreamWear
Humidifier: PR attached
CPAP Pressure: 8.5 - 13. A-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP Therapy Sept. 11, 2015. Hx Hypertension, Post Graves Disease, chronic migraines.

Having retired from a career in EMS as a dispatcher, I definitely agree with FrankNichols. Better safe than sorry. Best of luck.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!! Rolleyes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
05-05-2016 07:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
kyhmm72 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips DreamStation
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironics DreamWear
Humidifier: Philips DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(05-05-2016 06:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:  Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.

Thanks, Frank. I'm not too worried about my heart. Recently had a heart check-up and stress test and all was well.
05-05-2016 07:03 PM
holden4th Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto with Bluetooth
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Remstar Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11- 15 APAP

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(05-05-2016 07:03 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 06:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:  Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.

Thanks, Frank. I'm not too worried about my heart. Recently had a heart check-up and stress test and all was well.

Depending on how the stress test was done it may be inconclusive. A straight stress test with an EKG monitor attached just reads the electrical signals from the heart. I had a couple of those before my serious coronary artery issues were found and I was told I was OK. When I had my stress test as part of a myocardial perfusion where they inject radioactive material into the vascular system and take detailed x-ray pictures of your coronary arteries was when it was detected that I had major blockages in my coronary arteries. I was in hospital 36 hours after this test.

I ignored chest pain for years and it nearly cost me my life - use your brain and get it properly checked! Insist on either a myocardial perfusion or an angiogram. It may be nothing but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.
05-06-2016 03:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Helen,

It's hard to know exactly what someone means when they say "chest pain".

It does make sense to me that you were working hard to breathe while you had your mask on but the xPAP machine off, and that you may have strained the muscles in your chest wall a bit.

Having said that, I don't know what cardiac-related chest pain feels like and if it's any different from what muscle strain feels like.

I'm writing this about 12 hours after you wrote it, so I'm guessing that if you have muscle strain from breathing, that it's already starting to get a bit better.

I think you have to consider your own health situation, though.

(05-05-2016 06:53 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote:  I've been on CPAP therapy since March 25. My first month follow-up was great. I had several nights where the temperature was too warm 80-84) and my AC isn't working (should be fixed tomorrow). Those nights that it was warm, I struggled with the mask and took it off unknowingly. The last two nights have been cool, so I expected no issues.

I woke up during the night and realized I didn't have my mask on, so I put it back on, but realized a couple hours later that I didn't turn the machine on. So my question to you is, could this be the reason that my chest has hurt all day today, especially when breathing? I am quite uncomfortable and don't know whether to go get checked out or not. Wait til tomorrow and see? I'd swear I have pneumonia if I were coughing, but I'm not.

Thank you all so much.

Helen
05-06-2016 08:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Classic example of Sleep-Wake-Junk breathing robysue 0 8 Today 02:01 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 486 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,025 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill
  Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips Roy289 20 665 11-11-2016 07:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chinstrap doesn't prevent mouth breathing, how to solve? Snurkel 21 2,074 10-03-2016 05:03 PM
Last Post: Roy289
Question [Symptoms] Fake or real OA - back sleep and diaphragm breathing jm54 1 270 09-15-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: chill
  Chest infection and difficult breathig JamesW 7 464 09-04-2016 08:08 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait