Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
Sad 
Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
I've been on CPAP therapy since March 25. My first month follow-up was great. I had several nights where the temperature was too warm 80-84) and my AC isn't working (should be fixed tomorrow). Those nights that it was warm, I struggled with the mask and took it off unknowingly. The last two nights have been cool, so I expected no issues.

I woke up during the night and realized I didn't have my mask on, so I put it back on, but realized a couple hours later that I didn't turn the machine on. So my question to you is, could this be the reason that my chest has hurt all day today, especially when breathing? I am quite uncomfortable and don't know whether to go get checked out or not. Wait til tomorrow and see? I'd swear I have pneumonia if I were coughing, but I'm not.

Thank you all so much.

Helen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chest hurting when breathing.... Input please.
Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Having retired from a career in EMS as a dispatcher, I definitely agree with FrankNichols. Better safe than sorry. Best of luck.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 06:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.

Thanks, Frank. I'm not too worried about my heart. Recently had a heart check-up and stress test and all was well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 07:03 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 06:56 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Well, you will get differing opinions I expect, but the general rule is if you are having chest pains you should call the hospital or doctor at once, or get transportation to a hospital. It is not my intention to scare you, but too often people wait when they shouldn't.

Thanks, Frank. I'm not too worried about my heart. Recently had a heart check-up and stress test and all was well.

Depending on how the stress test was done it may be inconclusive. A straight stress test with an EKG monitor attached just reads the electrical signals from the heart. I had a couple of those before my serious coronary artery issues were found and I was told I was OK. When I had my stress test as part of a myocardial perfusion where they inject radioactive material into the vascular system and take detailed x-ray pictures of your coronary arteries was when it was detected that I had major blockages in my coronary arteries. I was in hospital 36 hours after this test.

I ignored chest pain for years and it nearly cost me my life - use your brain and get it properly checked! Insist on either a myocardial perfusion or an angiogram. It may be nothing but the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

Post Reply Post Reply
Helen,

It's hard to know exactly what someone means when they say "chest pain".

It does make sense to me that you were working hard to breathe while you had your mask on but the xPAP machine off, and that you may have strained the muscles in your chest wall a bit.

Having said that, I don't know what cardiac-related chest pain feels like and if it's any different from what muscle strain feels like.

I'm writing this about 12 hours after you wrote it, so I'm guessing that if you have muscle strain from breathing, that it's already starting to get a bit better.

I think you have to consider your own health situation, though.

(05-05-2016, 06:53 PM)kyhmm72 Wrote: I've been on CPAP therapy since March 25. My first month follow-up was great. I had several nights where the temperature was too warm 80-84) and my AC isn't working (should be fixed tomorrow). Those nights that it was warm, I struggled with the mask and took it off unknowingly. The last two nights have been cool, so I expected no issues.

I woke up during the night and realized I didn't have my mask on, so I put it back on, but realized a couple hours later that I didn't turn the machine on. So my question to you is, could this be the reason that my chest has hurt all day today, especially when breathing? I am quite uncomfortable and don't know whether to go get checked out or not. Wait til tomorrow and see? I'd swear I have pneumonia if I were coughing, but I'm not.

Thank you all so much.

Helen

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,582 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 299 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 201 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 583 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 462 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.