Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne-Stokes – Is it?
RE: Cheyne-Stokes – Is it?
Am I correct that:
1) CSR is pretty rare and not a problem unless the charts show 45 minutes or longer?
2) Shorter is just periodic breathing?
3) We don't focus on it because there is nothing in CPAP we can change to help?

As I am new to OSCAR, I missed the event flags also turned the background to green for the related items.
So why is Mask Pressure included? 

Each CA and OA event has number of seconds. So it appears the same for PB and CSR that in this case is 930 seconds.
A little over 15 minutes.
The ResScan graph that I captured shows better but why just the 15 minutes is diagnosed. 
The breathing appears same pattern for 30 minutes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
I guess this is not a popular subject. 

Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Or, it could be that no one currently has an answer for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a frequent question that comes about because Resmed labels variable breathing as CSR. In this case it is most certainly not CSR. The closeup graph suggests some increasing obstruction or flow limitation as the inspiratory wave flattens leading into an OA event, and recovery breathing on the other side. I'm a little undecided whether your problem may be predominately obstructive or central, but this limited view suggests obstruction. This can lead to periodic breathing through a positional apnea mechanism, where chin-tucking leads to increased flow limitation, followed by arousal and recovery breathing, and a repeating pattern of hypoventilation and hyperventilation. While Resmed will flag this as CSR it is quite different.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks @Sleeprider I was trying to verify the (930) number and why it was not recorded as twice as long. And the coloring of the charts.
I don't understand Mask Pressure. 

I believe I have a good mix of apneas usually but recently I have had nights with just CA. I started wearing a collar and it gave me the opposite result I expected. Last few nights had many OAs and high AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
The difference between the Pressure graph and the Mask Pressure graph is that the Pressure graph is set every two seconds as calculated by the machine, whereas the mask pressure is measured (at the humidifier input actually) 25 times a seconds. So it tracks the changes from EPAP to IPAP as you breathe. If you are not using EPR it won't vary too much, of course.

You can see the variation if you zoom in enough.

The Flow Rate graph is also measured 25 times a second.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will post a graph that includes the mask pressure graph (blue) from an an Aircurve 10 bilevel and a Airsense 10:

Vauto graph showing mask pressure PS 4:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=26092]

Airsense 10 Mask pressure EPR 2:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27301]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello B1Sailor.  After doing some research, I found this article that is based strictly on time.  "There are two different kinds of sleep apnea: OSA is when the airway physically collapses and disrupts breathing, and CSA is when the brain fails to send signals to make you breathe. People who have Cheyne-Stokes breathing might also have CSA, but the primary symptom is the alternating pattern of breathing.

The length of breathing cycles also differs between these two sleep disorders. CSA breathing cycles are less than 40 seconds, while Cheyne-Stokes respirations are longer. They average between 45 and 90 seconds in length." 

I hope this helps.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 180 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 294 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 330 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 635 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,224 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.