Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes Breathing Event
Cheyne Stokes Breathing Event
Hi I'm a Forum newbie but have been using CPAP/APAP for many years.  I was diagnosed with moderate OSA (33 events per hour) back in 2005 when living in the UK. I am 64 years old but pretty fit for my age (regular cyclist with a FitBit cardiac fitness score in the excellent category). It was established early on in my treatment that I needed APAP as my pressure needs were very variable.  When I moved to Spain over 12 years ago the local health services over here could not provide nor support APAP machines.  I tried one of their cheap fixed pressure machines but it did not work for me.  The NHS in the UK allowed me to keep the APAP (ResMed S8 autoset) they had given me but eventually I had to replace it with an ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  This has worked well and I average an AHI of around 3 (with some variation).

A few nights ago I had a weird dream where I ended up at high altitude where there was not enough oxygen.  Eventually I woke up still feeling oxygen deprived but quickly recovered.  Later I looked at the machine data in SleepyHead (looks almost identical to OSCAR) and found that I had had a 26 minute Cheyne Stokes Breathing event with 11 OA, 1 CA and 1 Hypopnea.  My FitBit usually gives me information on SpO2 levels but for some reason it says it was unable to record data that night.  Further digging reveals that it did record data some during the night but not during the Cheynes Stokes event (I'm wondering whether it didn't record the data because it didn't believe it).

As I have no cardiac condition I am wondering if this Cheyne Stokes breathing event is significant or is it just one of those things that happen sometimes?

Sorry for rambling but I thought giving the background info was probably important. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Breathing Event
Unfortunately, Resmed flags all periodic breathing, a pattern where flow rate alternately increases and decreases) as Cheyne-Stokes. This is not a diagnostic flag, but means that respiratory flow fluctuated enough to set the flag. The developers of Oscar decided to use the same label for the flag as Resmed uses in their own software. I think I prevailed in one version to have that label changed to Periodic Breathing as used by Philips. In any event, it is rarely something to worry about, and is definitely NOT Cheyne-Stokes for someone in your condition.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Breathing Event
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,167 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 251 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 184 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 514 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.