Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Whats the secret?
Whats the secret?
Im a newbie in the CPAP world. Just started 3 weeks ago. I’ve been battling Long Covid for 8 months, and after a battery of tests it was determined that I have Hypoxia and other sleep related problems. I found my way to a nose mask + CPAP machine and haven’t been able to get used to it.
I go to sleep every night with my nose mask on (with humidifier at 3) but seem to wake up after about 4 hours of use, max. The rest of the night I sleep without it.
I would really like to know the secret to getting through the whole night wearing it.
Last night when I woke up after 4 hours I took note of how I felt and why I needed to take it off.
1. My nose was blocked
2. I felt like I was suffocating
3. My ears were ringing from the noise of the air+machine
4. I “needed a break” from the noise and discomfort

It was a rough night’s sleep. The problem is with Long Covid “a rough nights sleep” can be catastrophic for my health the next day(s).
I need to try to make CPAP work with me and get over this initial hump.
If anyone has any tricks or tips I would be internally grateful.
Thanks,
Fred Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whats the secret?
I don't know of any "secret", except perseverance.  Are you using any software to gauge how your therapy is going?  Obviously, you are not comfortable.  If you are using software, you can post a screenshot here of your nights sleep.  Maybe there's something we can see from that.

Your pressure may be too high or too low.  Also, there a setting for Exhale Pressure Relief (I think it's called Soft Pap) on the Prisma Cpap.  Use it if you can.  That would help with breathing out against the pressure.

Lower the humidity setting a little and use a nasal decongestant.  

You can download software for your Prisma cpap here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

If you need a Clinicians Manual, you can get it by email:
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

You should find it listed under Section Three, Other Manuals.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using fixed CPAP pressure with your Prisma, and may benefit from the exhale pressure relief called SoftPAP on your machine. If your machine is an auto CPAP you may want to try a range of pressure, for example 8.0 to 12.0 and use the SoftPAP at 2 to ease pressure during exhale. It's your therapy and trying some of these variations may be able to help you better tolerate the CPAP and to sleep better. As Rose suggested, get the Clinical manual to better understand settings, and if you can get some data using the Prisma software, we may be able to help guide you better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for the nice replies. I'll look deeper into the manual and try to make it work!
Post Reply Post Reply
What do you mean by nose was blocked. Do you have sinus/allergy issues?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,945 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Jojo07 Therapy: Whats going on with my flow rate? jojo07 6 702 09-24-2023, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Rainbow I get same symptoms at the same time every night - whats going on . Jimmy Boy 4 857 03-22-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Jimmy Boy
  Oscar screenshot. Can anyone advise whats next? legrunt 40 3,384 11-27-2021, 08:02 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  Anyone stopped using their CPAP for a night? Whats it feel like? tierdal 39 3,797 06-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Whats the best new machine?? marilyn212 6 1,151 07-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  [Admin Note] SECRET FILES - You'll have to join Apnea Board to see them! SuperSleeper 1 15,647 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.