Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne-Stokes...Imminent Rigor Mortis?
Sad 
Cheyne-Stokes...Imminent Rigor Mortis?
SleepyHead has been tagging Cheyne-Stokes episodes on my charts. Apart from the fact that the syndrome—alas—conjures up the visage of Dick Cheney, I'm quite concerned that Cheyne-Stokes is considered to be the breathing pattern of the half-dead. (This would be a significant deterioration for HalfAsleep).

Until now, I didn't think I was at death's door, but evidently Cheyne-Stokes is a significant precursor to fatality. Since I don't seem to be there yet (perhaps I'm in denial?), does anyone know anything about this breathing pattern that might be generally enlightening, as well as less foreboding?

Is this all a hoax perpetrated by for-profit sleep centers and estate attorneys?

Are we quite certain that I must hurry up and organize my Last Will and Testament?

Can anyone reflect on how SleepyHead evaluates periodic breathing?

Is Cheyne-Stokes a noteworthy problem?

If it doesn't persist for a considerable length of time, is it really Cheyne-Stokes?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne-Stokes...Imminent Rigor Mortis?
It would help to see the #SleepyHead output, zoomed in on the period of CS breathing. SleepyHead reports all periodic breathing as Cheyne-Stokes, when it may only be "ordinary" periodic breathing. True CSR is characterised by a period of waning airflow followed by a period of no flow (effectively a central apnea) followed by generally increasing flow. This repeats over and over.

CSR can be an indication of congestive heart failure or other serious conditions, so if you're seeing a lot of it then certainly get it checked out by your doctor. On the other hand, it may be indicative of nothing in particular.

There is a good fairly technical discussion in our wiki: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...espiration
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: xD94gGPm.png]
I  should have got my thumbnails linking now. Please let me know if I haven't.

[Image: aQnXeN5m.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
There are other causes of Cheyne-Stokes breathing other than dying and heart failure. They include carbon monoxide poisoning, increased arterial pC02, Hyponatremia (a low sodium level in the blood), sleeping at high altitudes, stroke, traumatic brain injury, as well as some medications like sedatives and opioids.

I have often questioned the algorithm used to detect and report Cheyne-Stokes breathing (periodic shallow breathing or under-breathing that alternates with deep over-breathing) because I find falsely flagged events.

Some suggest that lower pressures and the use of maximum EPR ease breathing to the point of encouraging the type of shallow breathing, followed by rescue breaths, that looks like Cheyne-Stokes breathing.

I welcome anyone with an authoritative explanation on how to weed out false reports of Cheyne Stokes breathing -- especially using a ResMed AirSense AutoSet.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh-jeez None of those potential conditions sound very comfortable.

Like you, I'm wanting to know how the algorithm works and how to evaluate it for veracity.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry mate, ya gonna live, they are obstructive and not CS, someone (me) may have mentioned you need more pressure.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Cheyne-Stokes is an obstructive mode, AFAIK. 

The higher my pressure goes the more events I have....
Post Reply Post Reply
you might want to google that.
If your CA are blown out of the park with higher pressure. Go back to the doctor and see of it's bad enough and not too early to consider another type of machine. You obviously don't mean it increases your OA and H.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
HalfAsleep Wrote:Cheyne-Stokes is an obstructive mode, AFAIK.

No - CSA is not an obstructive phenomenon. It is (as mentioned above) associated with heart failure and a whole lot of other medical conditions and possibly drug effects. What I see in your charts looks like a series of obstructive apneas and hypopneas. I don't think it's real CSR. However I'm not a medico and if you're concerned you should seek qualified medical advice and not rely on the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same issues, lots of CSR with no real reason; I'm in perfect health, haven't seen any reduction in CSR over time (apparently it takes time for the body to get accustom to the extra washout of carbon dioxide from CPAP), pressure doesn't seem to make any difference (we've looked at high vs low pressure), and EPR changes hasn't changed my CSR.

I've changed sleep docs (actually transferred to a better one by the original doc I was seeing) and he isn't convinced that it is true CSR since I don't have it all the time and I have no predisposing history (no head injury, no stroke, no hear failure).  The new doc did give me a BIPAP titration (with ST) study recently and I felt I had the best night sleep ever but I'm still waiting on the results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 251 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 186 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 295 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 635 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,224 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.