Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes Respiration ?
Cheyne Stokes Respiration ?
[attachment=17960]Hi 
I have been having heart rhythm issues, and got this Oscar report a couple of nights ago. Any adjustments to my machine likely to help 
Any input appreciated

Mal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Respiration ?
Pour a drink and celebrate. You don't have CSR. We call this sleep-wake-junk (SWJ) and it is all at the end of the night. For now, don't change anything except turning off ramp, and disregard the events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to AB

That is NOT CSR!! It is Periodic Breathing.

You may be able to reduce EPR and reduce your centrals.
For you I suggest reducing EPR slowly since your centrals are not that bad.
Your changes need to be based on how you feel. Acceptable adjustments start with no adjustments.

You need to identify which settings you feel best at.

EPR = 3 (current settings)
EPR = 2
EPR = 1
EPR = 0 or OFF

Each reduction should reduce centrals and increase obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much Sleeprider and Bonjour.
I'd never heard of CSR and a quick google of it had my anxiety levels skyrocket.

kind regards
Mal
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I got another episode of Cheyne Stokes......this time not at the end of the night. Is it anything to be concerned about?
Thanks again for your assistance
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a relative newbie so I hope that the Gurus will correct me or confirm.

Did you notice that your leak rate has a strong correlation with these green areas?

I can't help but wonder if those leaks are confusing the data and this might be a false alarm.
Or maybe it's the leak rates that are showing up as false leaks?

I only know enough to be dangerous at this point so let's see what others say.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pattern is periodic breathing with a slow attenuation of respiratory volume to a short period of zero flow followed by abrupt recovery breathing. I have never seen such short periodic episode that nothing gets flagged as CA or OA. This is not CSR but it is a pretty rough transition to sleep. Going back to Bonjour's last post, I think you need to consider reducing the EPR, but once again this is not what we know as CSR, in fact there isn't even an apnea in here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a correlation to the leaks, but the leaks are fairly small and the PB is fairly big.  

This is NOT CSR, it is a 30 minute series of periodic breathing.  The decrease in breathing is similar to CSR but the breath initiation is not and that looks more obstructive than central.  

Consistently seeing this pattern warrants a discussion with your sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:30 PM)bonjour Wrote: There is a correlation to the leaks, but the leaks are fairly small and the PB is fairly big.  

This is NOT CSR, it is a 30 minute series of periodic breathing.  The decrease in breathing is similar to CSR but the breath initiation is not and that looks more obstructive than central.  

Consistently seeing this pattern warrants a discussion with your sleep doctor.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but this is another great learning opportunity for me (and maybe for others).

Is it fair to assume that the periodic breathing is so powerful that the mask is leaking during the strong breaths and the periodic breathing is therefore causing the leaks?
That hypothesis could go some way to explaining the strong correlation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the repies.....very helpful

Some other things I should mention
1) I take stilnox, so will try to stop it from tonight in case that is contributing, however since starting Cpap therapy on 19/7/19 I have not seen this Cheyne Stokes (despite regularly taking stilnox) Could Stilnox cause issues?
2) My mask is the Resmed F20, and I havent changed the cushion fo since 1/11/19 (6 weeks) so will do so tonight
3) Also will reduce EPR to 1 tonight, and to 0 in a few nights all being well

If CSR continues I will see a sleep physician
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 89 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 242 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 291 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 501 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.