Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes Respiration ?
RE: Positional Apnea? and CSA
Mal777, this is not your first rodeo with irregular breathing patterns and even periodic breathing. I think these charts need to be looked at in context with your previous thread. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...espiration

This kind of irregular breathing, has characteristics of hyperventilation, and yet has a periodic inspiratory and expiratory peaks that is closer to your normal 15 BPM respiratory rate.  I have seen this in a few other members, and the solution was ASV to even out the wildly irregular breath rate.  In some of these examples, the breath rate is over 40 BPM, and it seems you are either suffering from a periodic limb movement or respiratory spasm that barely clears the dead space.  As i told Hojo at the time, you might need to see your doctor.  He ultimately resolved this with ASV.  This is the post I first noted his high respiration rate similar to yours http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid223896  and an example of his respiratory flow...look familiar?  Hojo was normal weight and in good physical condition with regular exercise.  His problems turned out to be primarily central, contrary to what this image looks like.

[Image: 0w7KiIl.png]

Getting back to your results, you are using pressure at 10 to 15 with EPR 3. Have we ever tried less EPR or removing it all together? This is the problem when you start new therapy threads, we lose some of the context of what has been tried previously.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for what machine you probably need I honestly don't know. The high frequency of that strange respiration makes me think it could be a significant issue and I am not sure what remedies that kind of breathing.

A basic bilevel (S or vauto) might be able to straighten out that breathing using ticontrol but that is the main feature those units have that I think might help and they wont help the central apneas if the centrals are happening during sleep (an ST might though due to backup rate ). ASV would be best to deal with the centrals and may be able to remedy the strange breathing but I don't know if it actually would as it only uses pressure and backup rate and I don't believe they have ticontrol so if machine doesnt consider that breathing to be off then it wouldn't do much to try to correct it.

I guess my opinion on the matter would be that I wouldn't buy any unit especially if they can't give you an explanation about what this breathing is and what is going to fix it. When they make a recommendation get them to do a trial period with the recommended machine and see how your sleep seems to be and if this breathing is still present.

The solution might be something else like medication too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2020, 10:20 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mal777, this is not your first rodeo with irregular breathing patterns and even periodic breathing. I think these charts need to be looked at in context with your previous thread. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...espiration

This kind of irregular breathing, has characteristics of hyperventilation, and yet has a periodic inspiratory and expiratory peaks that is closer to your normal 15 BPM respiratory rate.  I have seen this in a few other members, and the solution was ASV to even out the wildly irregular breath rate.  In some of these examples, the breath rate is over 40 BPM, and it seems you are either suffering from a periodic limb movement or respiratory spasm that barely clears the dead space.  As i told Hojo at the time, you might need to see your doctor.  He ultimately resolved this with ASV.  This is the post I first noted his high respiration rate similar to yours http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid223896  and an example of his respiratory flow...look familiar?  Hojo was normal weight and in good physical condition with regular exercise.  His problems turned out to be primarily central, contrary to what this image looks like.

[Image: 0w7KiIl.png]

Getting back to your results, you are using pressure at 10 to 15 with EPR 3. Have we ever tried less EPR or removing it all together? This is the problem when you start new therapy threads, we lose some of the context of what has been tried previously.

Hi Sleeprider
The link you posted from a previous thread is not mine. This is my previous thread entitled “Cheyne Stokes respiration ?  http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ion--27308

Before I reply to the very helpful comments is it possible to merge this thread to my original one I put a link to?

The help on this forum is greatly appreciated 
Mal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Respiration ?
Hi Mal

Threads have been merged as requested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2020, 05:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Mal

Threads have been merged as requested.

Thanks for that. I have reduced EPR to 2 for tonight and will respond to the helpful suggestions in the morning 

Mal
Post Reply Post Reply
Thankyou Sleeprider, Bonjour, Geer1 and Deep Breathing

I had another restless night. Tried to reduce EPR to 2 but felt suffocated and put it back on 3. Reduced Max pressure to 14, but was hitting peaks so will return it to 15 tonight.
Interesting comparison to Hojo. It seems ASV may be the solution and my last Echocardiogram in December 2019 EF is still 62%. I have a pacemaker (have LBBB) and valve heart surgey in 1996, so I do have other cardiac issues, but luckily no HF. Also had a BNP blood test to confirmno HF. And with the new Advent HF study having no issues to date, I would take the risk, as this apnea/ breathing issues has to be resolved.
I have an appointment with Pulmonologist on 28th Feb, and should have results of my bilevel sleep study before then. Of course I will post it on here for comment and recommendations. He told me he tried an S machine, then an ST.   Didn't mention ASV

Bonjour I did the "straw test" Bubbles went everywhere including over my shirt! My exhale pressure seems good .  I also did a lung function test and had a chest xray a coupe of weeks ago....all normal, as are my blood tests

The other thing I should mention is that I suffer from severe insomnia and have been taking stilnox (Zolpidem) for past couple of years. Without it I basically cant sleep. Have tried all the natural medications/ melatonin, meditation, behavioral therapy with psychologist etc etc without success.  Could stilnox be a contributing factor to my problems?

Last night my 95% RR was 44.80. Does this mean I breathe 44 times a minute at times?  (Median 19.2) Seems unbelievable.  

I have attached my screenshots from last night , including close up of RR and centrals.

Appreciate everyones help

Mal

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The hardest part about deciding a therapy course is to determine if your issues are central or obstructive in nature. The two solutions, ASV or ST-A (iVAPS) are respectively applicable. My inclination after seeing the spectrum of respiratory disturbances you have shown in this thread, is you tend towards the central spectrum that includes periodic breathing, CA, H and unregulated respiratory rate. That's about all I can conclude at this point. Getting to ASV seems logical, but may not be an easy thing to accomplish. At least your cardiopulmonary results seem to support that it is a safe choice. A few things to keep in mind are that you rely on pressure support to feel comfortable. ASV would step in to maintain your respiratory rate and volume where you apparently are unable to do so spontaneously, and ASV will resolve CA and H events in a way your CPAP simply cannot match.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2020, 06:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The hardest part about deciding a therapy course is to determine if your issues are central or obstructive in nature. The two solutions, ASV or ST-A (iVAPS) are respectively applicable. My inclination after seeing the spectrum of respiratory disturbances you have shown in this thread, is you tend towards the central spectrum that includes periodic breathing, CA, H and unregulated respiratory rate.  That's about all I can conclude at this point. Getting to ASV seems logical, but may not be an easy thing to accomplish. At least  your cardiopulmonary results seem to support that it is a safe choice.  A few things to keep in mind are that you rely on pressure support to feel comfortable. ASV would step in to maintain your respiratory rate and volume where you apparently are unable to do so spontaneously, and ASV will resolve CA and H events in a way your CPAP simply cannot match.

Most of my centrals in the past have been at the onset of sleep (when I start by lying on my back then lie on my side when ready to sleep) I have had only 5 recorded episodes of Periodic breathing (shown as Cheyne stokes on Oscar) in past couple of months

I presume ST-A (iVAPS) would help my breathing irregularity mainly? As it doesn't have "Easy breathe" I might have trouble using it too...
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think ST-A is the way I would steer you. My comments were to show the options for irregular respiratory rate. ST-A would be more appropriate for hypoventilation.

On a different tact, what happens when you remove the cap on pressure at 14? Also, we can see your respiration is very irregular throughout the February 10 screenshot. How about a zoom around midnight to see what is happening?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ive removed cap on pressure (now 10-20), and have attached a closeup of respiration at midnight

I also suffer from severe insomnia and have been taking stilnox (Zolpidem) for past couple of years. Without it I basically cant sleep. Have tried all the natural medications/ melatonin, meditation, behavioral therapy with psychologist etc etc without success.  Could stilnox be a contributing factor to my problems?

Last night my 95% RR was 44.80. Does this mean I breathe 44.8 times a minute at times?  (Median 19.2) Seems unbelievable.

thanks once again

Mal

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 196 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 283 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 124 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 4 269 03-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 879 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 354 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 365 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.