Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes Respiration Question
Cheyne Stokes Respiration Question
I've seen a number of posts on the topic and did some research online. CSR looks pretty nasty but it doesn't seem ResMed's data can confirm it's actually happening. 

My OSCAR results last night look like an image I found here showing what CSR looks like so I'm back to ask if I should be concerned.

Thanks for this wonderful community!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Respiration Question
Admitted I don't know enough about it, but if you had the condition your heart health would already be in question as I understand it. So is your heart health OK?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
1st ResMed calls any periodic breathing CSR.
Your pattern is CSR and to be clear we don't like it.
I know nothing of your medical history so I'll suggest you advise, and print a copy of this chart for your doctors, that is your PCP, cardiac, pulmonologist, and sleep doc.

As you noted CSR may be related to a number of other conditions, the most notable is CHF. You likely already know if you have that. This is about 30 minutes I
And is the lower limit where some docs get concerned enough to look for it.

You are using EPR =3. This in a few 'lucky' individuals can cause what you see so I'd like you to reduce it to 1.

This pattern frequently occurs in xPAP users because you breathing has improved with cpap use.
Your breathing is driven by a complex based on many parameters with the main drive being to expell excess CO2 from your system. As the CO2 levels in your blood drop your body sees less need to breathe until you hit your apneic threshold and stop breathing with a central event (CA) . With the stoppage your CO2 increases and your breaths get deeper and then your starts to tapper off Untill you once again hit your apneic threshold.

In your case EPR is likely to be contributing to this thus please

Set EPR=1

Repost tomorrow and we can check again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I meant to ask if you have any heart or breathing issues other than Apnea

Brain injuries, strokes, siezures, meds especially pain killers, in addition to some heart conditions can contribute to central apneas, so do any of these apply?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!

No diagnosis of CHF and this pattern is not a real regular occurrence. In the 26 days I've had the new machine it's happened 5 times.

I'll change the EPR to 1 and continue to monitor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have exactly the same type of event happening since I started CPAP treatment in Sept 2020. I get them about 50% of sleeps in a month. I have a history of frequent waking and which leads me to believe that I have had these CSB/CSA events starting 2 years prior to starting on a CPAP. I didn't have them on the home test so I have been treated as having just OSA and when I eventually had a full polysomnogram I didn't have the event then either. I have done tons of research and there are various reasons why these events can occur. The Sleep clinic that tested me and sold me the CPAP eventually referred me to a sleep doctor but they have never supplied him with the overnight data including the graphs so it has been very frustrating. I am sending him my own downloads from OSCAR so he can see what is going on and I hope to get some help next week when I speak to him. I would strongly advise you to discuss this with your doctor. They are very nasty and I am finding it more amd more difficult to cope with the extreme fatigue that they have caused.
Post Reply Post Reply
OH, and I have just turned off the EPR so will see how I do tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
During my Covid-episode I had a couple of nights with periods of CSR. No heart problems anyway. So spontaneous phases of CSR might indicate a disease.
Post Reply Post Reply
Innisfree, please start your own therapy thread and post charts.Always post a full night for context and evaluation. And additional charts you choose to illustrate what you have questions on.

Especially where CA is involved, a copy of your redacted sleep studies as we want to see what, if any was present before cpap and what shows initially with cpap use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 102 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 295 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 330 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 506 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.