Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne-Stokes and periodic breathing
Cheyne-Stokes and periodic breathing
I've been using my ResMed S9 APAP since May 20th. The good news is my OSA issues are pretty well gone, but on some days I'll get a huge amount of CAs and hypopnea events. Last night I had an overall AHI of 15.8, most of which were short (15 second) centrals, all related to Cheyne-Stokes respiration and periodic breathing.

Looking at the waveforms, I'll go into periodic breathing/Cheyne-Stokes around 2-3AM, and it will last 15 minutes to an hour. (Not every day, but at least once or twice a week.) I'll get some hypopneas, and central apneas lasting 15 seconds to not more than 24 seconds. I never seem to awaken from these, and eventually the breathing evens out.

My reading on this says that atrial fibrillation is associated with Cheyne-Stokes, and the AFIB has been a bit more intense in pollen season. Anybody else in this situation? I wake fairly well rested (barring the bad back and arthritis), but Sleepyhead thinks I'm a wreck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne-Stokes and periodic breathing
I've read about a correlation between Afib and CSR.
I'm curious... Are you continuously in Afib; or is it episodic?
I assume you have a cardiologist who's doing their best to control Afib; and possibly you are on a blood thinner to prevent clots...

Now, my attempt at humor -- perhaps Sleepyhead read your profile -- that's why it thinks you're a wreck?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The AFib is episodic, usually presenting under some form of stress. It showed up in spades for my second cataract procedure (two weeks after the first), after the Pac Power transformer died at bedtime. Proved that I really can't sleep without CPAP, and that I needed better backup power.

Main treatment now is warfarin to keep clots from killing me. (As my doctor's nurse delicately puts it: "Rat Poison to keep you alive".) If the AFib gets worse, I'd go for the catheter nerve-ablation procedure, but it's good enough now. Medicare starts next year, and cost would be better. So long as I'm sleeping all right, I'll not worry too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RedCoPete,

There seems to be a correlation between CSR and various heart related issues. Atrial Fib and Congestive Heart Failure are both associated with Cheyne-Stokes Respiration and Periodic Breathing. One study: Sleep Apnea Syndrome in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation —2 Cases Whose Atrial Fibrillation Was Controlled by Treatment for Sleep Apnea Syndrome— http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...7607800275
is interesting because it suggests that controlling Sleep Apnea helps reduce A-fib. In your case you have already been on CPAP. You may now need an ASV machine to reduce the effects of the CSR and Periodic Breathing.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on cpap over a year, and it tells me I have Cheyne Stokes respiration and Periodic Breathing sometimes 4% of the time. Usually one or two groupings a night....2-2:30am.....sometimes after I first fall asleep - My AHI goes from 3 - 17 and everywhere in Between! but varies wildly with no rhyme or reason, mostly it hovers around 8-9. I have a good mixture between obstructives, centrals, hypopneas. I sometimes have sporadic episodes of stopping breathing at the moment I'm falling asleep. This can occur 50-100 times a night for hours, which they attribute to centrals. Maybe maybe not. Happens a few days in a row maybe every month or two....those nights I might get 2 hrs sleep if I'm lucky.

I can't figure it out. I've worn a holter monitor for a month and no a fib. I've had people (and doctors) tell me that Cpaps can give false readings of Cheyne stokes.....

My doctors don't seem concerned, they only care that I am compliant for insurance purposes.

Since my numbers very WILDLY for no reason (same sleeping position, etc) I could have one sleep study with crazy numbers, and another sleep study with great numbers......

I'm disgusted and have given up trying to figure this out. I feel like crap most days and will be changing insurance in a year, going to a very high deductible, so I will have to probably stop cpap anyway.

Hope you have better luck figuring out your Cheyne Stokes / Periodic breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you identify Cheyne-Stokes using the SH data from an S9? CS doesn't show up in any of my graphs
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you identify Cheyne-Stokes using the SH data from an S9

Mine are identified as CA events (no-flow 14 to 23 seconds, with a gradual increase, followed by tapering off, repeating once a minute) by Sleepyhead, and reading about Cheyne-Stokes, the pattern looks right. If the minimum is really short, it'll flag as a hypopnea, with about 2/3's of the events CAs and the rest HAs.

I'm trying two things on the S9 tonight.

1) The minimum has been at 4 cm-H2O, but SH shows that 6 is a better minimum. I'd like to not have that 5-15 minutes of struggling when I start up.
2) I'm trying EPR. Set it up to "patient" and for tonight, it'll be at 2. Various forum messages have indicated it could help. We'll see what happens.

On bad nights, I'll have an AHI in the double digits, mostly from CAs with a few HAs for flavor. My very best night was 0.71, and I'm averaging about 6. I'd like to do better, but don't really want to bend the budget for an ASV. The joys of self insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not bad for a first night. Setting the minimum at 5 meant immediate comfort, and the AHI was 3.4, far better than the mid 6s. (2/3s of the days are worse than this value.) I'll keep the setting and carry on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2016, 09:23 PM)RedCoPete Wrote: How do you identify Cheyne-Stokes using the SH data from an S9

Mine are identified as CA events (no-flow 14 to 23 seconds, with a gradual increase, followed by tapering off, repeating once a minute) by Sleepyhead, and reading about Cheyne-Stokes, the pattern looks right. ....................
So you are interpreting data from other channels, but not the Cheyne-Stokes (CSR) channel?

My (PR) machine doesn't yield a CSR channel in SH either, but it does give the PB channel, and I'm getting events there 3-12% of most nights. I don't have CHF as far as I know, but I do have sinus bradycardia, so this is of particular concern to me.

I see various threads where people seem to assume Cheyne-Stokes and Periodic Breathing are equivalent. But I'm confused, because SleepyHead explicitly supplies a separate channel - therefore presumably a different algorithm - for each.

So questions for the experts: Is CSR the same thing as PR or not? If so, why does SH have separate channels for each? If not, is the difference one of degree or qualitative? What concerns are raised by the presence of PR events?

Thanks for any insight,

-Ron

PS to OP: Hope I'm not hijacking your thread. I'm assuming my questions will interest you too.
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too late to edit previous note, but by "PR" I meant "PB" (except when referring to the machine.) Sorry for confusion.
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,171 9 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 251 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 186 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 152 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 514 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.