Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne-Stokes and periodic breathing
RE: Cheyne-Stokes and periodic breathing
No signs of a CSR channel in the Sleepyhead report for my machine (ResMed S9 Autoset). The event flags include Clear Airways, Hyponeas, OSAs, and Undetermined. The CAs look like Cheyne-Stokes as far as I can tell.

Last night was decidedly mediocre, with no big change from my no-ESR average. I had to get up to pee the two nights I've used 2 cm ESR, and both times it took a bit longer than usual to fall back asleep. I'll give things a week, and see what to do. I might try dropping the ESR to 1; I'm used to exhaling against full pressure, and I think it will take some time to get used to it. I do like starting at 6 cm-H2O. (I said 5 in a previous post--that was a typo.)

For what it's worth, I've never seen Sleepyhead (or might be ResMed) flag an event as CA with a pause below 10 seconds. The shorter minima seem to get flagged as Hypos. There's a discussion of CSR and PB in the "Beginner's guide to Sleepyhead". A lot depends on the machine's programming.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was switched from straight CPAP to DreamStation APAP last November, and started monitoring sleep data for the first time, my AHI tended to be between 10 and 15, but I had massive amounts of PB--often 20-25%. I had no idea what this meant, and it freaked me out when I started reading about CHF. When I finally got to see the sleep doc, he was concerned about the AHI and centrals, but didn't seem too bothered about the PB. He suggested a cardiology exam anyway, since I hadn't been to a cardiologist in 20 years or so.

The cardiologist understood the immediate reason for the visit, and did EKG and echocardiogram. No Holter. He saw no evidence of Afib or CHF. I also had another sleep study, since I hadn't had one in nine years. Complex apnea was confirmed, but no heart rhythm abnormalities. ASV was prescribed, and a titration study was done. I've now been on ASV for three months. My average AHI for the past month is 2.8. I don't know my average PB, but it's 2% or less, often 0. Once in a while I'll see a 4.

What I don't know, and will never know, is whether my PB was as high on straight CPAP as it was on APAP. I don't know if the APAP algorithm could have produced or exacerbated PB, especially after nine years of constant pressure.

Incidentally, I have the impression that SleepyHead doesn't count any event at all--CA, OA, hypo, or PB--unless it's over 10 seconds. That's probably more a PRS1 thing than a SH thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2016, 02:23 PM)tmoody Wrote: ..............................
The cardiologist understood the immediate reason for the visit, and did EKG and echocardiogram. No Holter. He saw no evidence of Afib or CHF.
Quote: My average AHI for the past month is 2.8. I don't know my average PB, but it's 2% or less, often 0. Once in a while I'll see a 4.

Good going! And good to know the PB is not necessarily diagnostic for bad stuff, and that it can diminish over time.............

Quote:Incidentally, I have the impression that SleepyHead doesn't count any event at all--CA, OA, hypo, or PB--unless it's over 10 seconds. That's probably more a PRS1 thing than a SH thing.
That's what I thought too, but I am noticing OA's at 6,7,8,9 seconds durations. A few CA's below 10 also. I also tried toggling on UF1 and UF2, leaving the default criteria. Yikes, a whole slew of previously hidden events down to 8 seconds' duration. I toggled 'em off again.

Under the Events tab of the SH Preferences menu, JediMark has indicated a bunch of PRS1 events for which, I've read, he has no definition. So yeah, apparently a lot of algorithms ticking away in these machines.

-Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2016, 04:26 PM)rkl122 Wrote: Too late to edit previous note, but by "PR" I meant "PB" (except when referring to the machine.) Sorry for confusion.

Older versions of Sleepyhead labeled all periodic breathing events as CSR. The label could be changed in preferences, and still can. To be more clear, periodic breathing may be Cheyne-Stokes, but not all PB is.

It was changed because it was obvious that most CSR flags were actually just plain old breathing fluctuations or sleep-wake-junk. CSR is in fact a pretty alarming condition mostly associated with congestive heart failure. So the author of the software changed the label to the more accurate PB, and the few people with CSR will probably know who they are, or will soon know. CSR is not transient, it occurs throughout the sleep session at frequencies over 60%. I for one, agree the change was appropriate, and hopefully will cut down on the number of posts on the forums asking about their CSR.

Sleepyhead itself does not generate any event flags. It reports the ones contained in the machine data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the clarification Sleeprider. Very helpful.

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Third night running, and AHI over 10. I think I'll give it a week, unless it gets worse. Starting at 6 is more comfortable, but with the ESR at 2, I'm simply more used to breathing out against pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I think I know enough for now. Without ESR, my AHI over 32 days was 6.56 (std deviation of 4. Good days 2 or better, bad days up to 15). 5 days with ESR of 2 cm-H2O, and I got an average of 6.78, with a std deviation of 3.4. I had two "good" days, running 3.08 and 3.4, and a couple over 10.

I don't feel comfortable with the ESR, and it doesn't look like it's helping the centrals and hypopneas. I'm going to keep the starting pressure of 6.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,131 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 180 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.