Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne stokes and periodic breathing, what can you tell me?
Cheyne stokes and periodic breathing, what can you tell me?
Hi all, I posted this in a reply somewhere but I was hoping to ask a follow up and thought I should start a new thread.

Okay, here's a night from last week, before my full face mask:

[Image: itMQWy2.jpg]
[Image: EH0eOx7.jpg]
[Image: RUfdrqa.jpg]
[Image: 9fWzNOv.jpg]

This seems to be a nightly pattern I see, but I only have flow rate data from oct 22nd onward (my machine only saves it for a week apparently).

The user flag 1 is 50% reduction for 10s (which I'm also not sure why the machine isn't just flagging these as hypopnea).

Sorry I'm bombarding the board with my questions lately, I'm a little lost and overwhelmed.

Basically, I've been trying to look into why I have such lousy daytime sleepiness despite my consistently low AHI (which is what lead to learning about sleepyhead and all this).

I've had basic bloodwork done, like thyroid, iron, things you look at for fatigue and they're all fine. I've been to the ENT and dentist to look into physical obstructions in my airway, all clear. That was all when I was still under the impression the issue was obstructive sleep apnea. What is my first step in investigating central apnea? I don't have congestive heart failure, and I'm not a big opium addict so that's mostly all google has to contribute. What tests should I even be asking my doctor for? I've been trying to approach this like "if you hear hoofbeats you should think horses not zebras" but besides heart failure and drugs everything seems to be zebras. Are there any other horses?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne stokes and periodic breathing, what can you tell me?
Compared to what others have posted on this and other boards that show CSR, your graphs don't look anything like it.

You probably want to talk to your doctor about your sleep though.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your leak rate? How much of the time are you in the large leak area?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 11:50 AM)PaytonA Wrote: What is your leak rate? How much of the time are you in the large leak area?

My leak rate is always low, and I never have any large leaks just small ones. Before my full face mask I was suspicious of this, but now I kinda believe it. Here is the whole night again with the leak rate at the bottom now. I rescaled the axis for leaks to 9 to make it more visible.

[Image: T2Bg0ng.jpg]
(11-06-2015, 11:23 AM)ramblingasian Wrote: Compared to what others have posted on this and other boards that show CSR, your graphs don't look anything like it.

You probably want to talk to your doctor about your sleep though.

Can you link me to those posts? I just googled, and I searched the forum, but had trouble finding good comparisons.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some questions for kameeleun:
How long have you been on PAP therapy?
Which S9 do you have? (Look by the start button)
Are you using EPR?

Suggestion: Google, pressure induced central apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 12:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: Some questions for kameeleun:
How long have you been on PAP therapy?
Which S9 do you have? (Look by the start button)
Are you using EPR?

Suggestion: Google, pressure induced central apnea.

It's an S9 Elite, what does that mean? I've been on CPAP for four years, always this machine but I have previously been at different pressures. The first time I've switched masks was this past monday, that's why I picked this day from before I switched masks.

Now that you mention it, I remember now that I was using EPR that night. I had been feeling like my pressure was too high and had read about EPR, so I tried it out a few nights while I waited for the sleep doctor's office to get back to me, but didn't feel like it was making a difference. Now I'm on a fixed 6 pressure, but the pattern is still there. Sorry, I meant to choose a day from before my mask change because I didn't want to add variables, but I forgot about trying out EPR. I can post more screen shots from a day I didn't use EPR, if that's helpful let me know.
Post Reply Post Reply
So is what I have normal? I had a really hard time finding non-cheyne-stokes periodic breathing information using google, and I have a lot of these ups and downs with hypopnea instead of apnea. I think the up and down might be why a lot of the hypopnea aren't scored by the machine too, unless there's some additional criteria beyond 50% reduction for 10s (which is what resmeds site says).

Here's a closeup of another night, maybe it's showing what I mean better:
[Image: L1ggUxs.jpg]
Let me know if you want more screenshots, or if you want to see different variables too.
Post Reply Post Reply
kameeleum,
There are a few threads listed at the bottom of this thread that may be related.

This has nothing to do with your question, but may help in posting a graph.

You can leave off the right side bar, and get rid of the calendar and pie chart.
Leave the info under the pie chart.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 10:49 AM)kameeleun Wrote: [Image: EH0eOx7.jpg]

So just to reiterate, if I notice a wavy waxing/waning breathing pattern like the one depicted in the graph above, but breathing does NOT stop or result in a CA in between periods, then it's not Cheyne-Stokes? I've seen a few of those on my SH charts myself, and I'm wondering if I can safely ignore them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 08:50 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: So just to reiterate, if I notice a wavy waxing/waning breathing pattern like the one depicted in the graph above, but breathing does NOT stop or result in a CA in between periods, then it's not Cheyne-Stokes? I've seen a few of those on my SH charts myself, and I'm wondering if I can safely ignore them.

Cheyne Stokes is a distinct type of periodic breathing. Brief periods of irregular breathing like the graph above are not CS, nor are they particularly more disruptive than the incomplete hypopnea they represent. It is the labeling in Sleepyhead that is in error.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,139 16 minutes ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.