Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged?
Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged?
Last night my machine flagged some breathing toward the end of my sleep cycle as CSR breathing. It looks very similar to a lot of the breathing I experience throughout the night. My numbers are fine overall (higher the last two days over 2 AHI for the first time in a week) but I've also been really, really tired while on vacation. I also dreamed that I needed to raise my lower pressure and have had some pretty intense REM rebound the last two nights after not sleeping much for about a week during our two week vacation.

Anyway, here are some screenshots.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyennes Strokes Respiration Flagged?
1. That is NOT CSR. ResMed calls ALL periodic breathing, which this is, This is showing some signs of CO2 induced breathing but not enough to be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheynes Strokes Respiration Flagged?
Can you please explain CO2 induced breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyennes Strokes Respiration Flagged?
On pressures,
Start by increasing your EPR by 1.
Evaluate which settings feel better.

BTW I would move min pressure to 7 just to allow room for EPR=3 to work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll change that now. I currently have EPR at 1 with 6-14 as my pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
asuter060514 - CO2 buildup triggers your body to take a breath.  Hyperventilating, or using EPR, can cause CO2 washout.  This will prevent you from triggering a breath.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, should I increase EPR to 2 or leave it at 1 or even just turn it off? Could the CO2 breathing be the reason I feel a bit stuffy in the gut in the mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Increasing the EPR value will cause the CO2 washout to be greater.  Likewise, lowering it will reduce the washout. I might add; The use of EPR aids in the reduction of flow limitations. That is why the EPR feature is analogous to a double-edged sword. Lowering the EPR will reduce CAs, but increase flow limitations, and raising it can increase CAs while lowering flow limitation. It is a trade-off type of setup. Disclaimer; Not everyone experiences this, but the potential is there.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If EPR turns out negative for you we can just dial it back, no real problem.
You are showing hypopneas and flow limits both of which will benefit from a higher EPR. Neither is "Bad"
I suspect that the higher min of 7 will help more and you will likely need to go higher. This will help you feel better if you are typical. "bit stuffy in the gut" could be too low of a pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2021, 09:42 AM)Gideon Wrote: If EPR turns out negative for you we can just dial it back, no real problem.
You are showing hypopneas and flow limits both of which will benefit from a higher EPR.  Neither is "Bad"
I suspect that the higher min of 7 will help more and you will likely need to go higher.  This will help you feel better if you are typical. "bit stuffy in the gut" could be too low of a pressure.

Great! Yeah, my centrals are very high with EPR higher than 1. I’m pretty comfortable with pressure of any level now. 10 or higher used to feel like a lot, but now I can barely tell it’s on. I’m going to leave my EPR at 1 and try increasing pressure to 7 for now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 93 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 4 250 03-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 866 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 337 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,829 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 585 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 505 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.