Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap and Nasal Pillows
Chin Strap and Nasal Pillows
I'm using the RedMed P10 nasal pillows and what I think is a Respironics Premium Chin Strap but am having a couple of issues.   
  • The chin strap seems to move around on my head and becomes less effective.  It also seems to have become less effective over time.  Overall, it does not seem very secure.  It is about 2 months old.  My mouth can open a little, start whistling and wake me up. 
  • The nasal pillows can also get slightly dislodged such that they whistle and also wake me up.  It could be the chin strap moving around that causes the bands on the nasal pillows to move but I'm not sure.  I think I may move around a bit when sleeping.
 Are there any recommendations or suggestions on how I could minimize there issues.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap and Nasal Pillows
I tried various chin straps... Most either either pull at the wrong angle (ineffective and/or painful) or slipped around and came off at night.  The only type that has worked for me (still not perfect, but maybe 95%) are the type that use a "cap" to anchor the strap.  There are a couple popular versions of this and you can find reviews in the review section of the forum.  I use the "Papcap" brand, which stays in place and has the correct angle for me, but lots of people prefer the other one.  

The other way to stop the mouth leaks is taping -- also lots of posts and advice about this on the forum, so just search for "taping" or "mouth taping".

Many people love the P10, but I couldn't get it to stay in place.  I'm now using a P30i, and it is working well for me -- stays in place, seldom leaks, and I like the "top of the head" hose connection as I toss and turn a lot at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to Scott's excellent suggestions, you might take a look at hose lifts (aka hose stands) to see whether they might help you. The Hose Buddy is sturdy; the Houdini isn't but swivels better, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a Knightsbridge Dual Band off and on. I'm now putting my mask on first, then the KDB. It's made much better than the other cap I used to use.

I've had about 3 of the pap-caps. Last one wasn't satisfactory.

I do use a hose reel to support my hose. Helps. Except it's getting old....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2021, 10:18 PM)DaveL Wrote: I'm now putting my mask on first, then the KDB. It's made much better than the other cap I used to use.
So you're putting the mask headgear "under" the chin-strap cap?  Interesting, if so, as I haven't tried that!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2021, 01:12 AM)ScottZZZ Wrote: So you're putting the mask headgear "under" the chin-strap cap?  Interesting, if so, as I haven't tried that!

That's how I do it too. That way the chin strap helps hold the mask in place, which is helpful if you are an active sleeper like me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some of the same issues so I make sure my hair is kept short so the straps have a more stable base to anchor to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I now put the mask on then the Knightsbridge Dual Band I have second. Only issue is I get strap marks that last several hours. It's pressure from the KDB on the mask straps.
He is an approved vendor on the list.....good product.

I have a different issue. I have an expanding bald spot on the back of my head. So mask head gear AND chin straps slip. The KDB is the best strap I've had so far. However, it's not perfect. Or--when I put it on somehow I do it differently sometimes.

Wearing all this gear is a pain in the....baldspot.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that the "ruby" style works great.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,758 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.