Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap or Cervical Collar???
Chin Strap or Cervical Collar???
Looking for guidance.

Using nasal pillows and have a major problem with dry mouth and leaks. Any suggestions? If so, any specific brands? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap or Cervical Collar???
I tried a Ruby chinstrap but my lips still leaked.  I bought a soft cervical collar and it fixed the problem for me as I am a chin tucker.   I don't think there are much in the way of brands for soft cervical collars.   They are less than $10 in a drug store.  Use until dirty and then replace is what I do.  It needs to be tight enough to keep your chin in place but not so tight that it cuts off your blood flow.  I tighten mine until it is uncomfortable, then loosed it a bit to where it is comfortable.  Then I go to sleep.   Wink

It really comes down to what works for you and what is comfortable for you.  For me, it was the collar.  For others, the chinstrap is a life saver.  You have to try it and see.  The collars are cheaper so that may be a factor in your decision of what to try first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, try Amazon for a "soft". cervical collar. You can buy according to the size of your neck.
They even have various heights. This way you can get a customized fit.

I personally use a soft neck pillow. The one I purchased is small and made for a toddler.
This works better for me and stops the jaw/mouth from dropping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried several chin straps that just wouldn't stay in place. The only useful strap I have used is the PAP-Cap manufactured by PurSleep and available on-line from several vendors, including our site host. It is a cotton "helmet" device with velcro chin strap. It stays in place and doesn't take up much space at all.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Cervical collar worked for me where a chin strap didn't. Much more comfortable too.
Post Reply Post Reply
As said a cervical collar is cheap enough to try & obviously works for some folk. I've been wearing a soft cervical collar every night for over 5 years for a neck condition (Neural foraminal stenosis) & the collar aids in preventing headaches - it's not a problem, & I would now find it very strange not to have it on in bed so give it a go. BTW I bought 3 & believe it or not have been using the same ones for the entire 5 years +. When one gets a bit grubby my wife soaks it in a whitening nappy (diaper) wash - main ingredient is sodium percarbonate, which cleans it up nicely. The collars themselves have been surprisingly durable & still look almost new after being washed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dhackle2000,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
. I hope the cervical collar works well for you, Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a collar today and will report back my results. Thanks to everyone for their input. I have always found this site to be very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
This works great for me:
Carefusion stop snoring chin strap + tape.

Never fails.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer, there is a lot of talk on leak management in there, some of which you are discussing here.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 370 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,113 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 550 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 503 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 426 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.