Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap or Not
Chin Strap or Not
I have been using a chin strap for about 4 months and a few nights ago, I wanted to try and see if I still needed it or if I could do without it (summer will be here soon and if I can get away without it I want to). At any rate, on the nights I have not been using the chin strap, my leaks are lower, my pressure, both IPAP and EPAP, are lower. Not sure why but I will definitely take it!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap or Not
Me50, you are probably getting those results because the chinstrap is helping you keep your mouth shut wile sleeping. If you can tolerate it, that's great. I have a Ruby but it's a bit hot at night. I even need a cool pillow as I'm one of those that keep flipping the pillow for the cool side. I did resort to (here it comes and I know it's not safe) medical tape. I've used regular wide office tape , too but it pulled the hair off my face in one scream and left a red wide X on my face for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi me50,
If you can get away without using a chinstrap, that's GREAT; some nights I can, but sometimes I think I need one, but I haven't found one that I can wear well, so I manage to do without it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2014, 12:46 PM)bareablesleep Wrote: Me50, you are probably getting those results because the chinstrap is helping you keep your mouth shut wile sleeping. If you can tolerate it, that's great. I have a Ruby but it's a bit hot at night. I even need a cool pillow as I'm one of those that keep flipping the pillow for the cool side. I did resort to (here it comes and I know it's not safe) medical tape. I've used regular wide office tape , too but it pulled the hair off my face in one scream and left a red wide X on my face for a week.

not sure I completely understand what you are saying. The results of lower IPAP/EPAP pressure and leaks and AHI is without the chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not using a chinstrap right now although I am using my pillows mask for awhile to let my poor little nosie heal up. I am definitely getting more leaks without it. But I'm definitely not caring all that much since I'll only be without my ffm for a few days and I definitely really don't like the chinstrap. Or maybe more.... Who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised you had less leaks without the chinstrap! Mine helps my leaks. Are you wearing it under or over the mask straps?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2014, 11:39 PM)eviltim Wrote: I'm surprised you had less leaks without the chinstrap! Mine helps my leaks. Are you wearing it under or over the mask straps?

not sure who you are asking but here is a reply from me(50) lol

I did have a need to use a chin strap with the wisp nasal mask. But I wanted to see if I still needed it so I quit using it. When I did use it, I had it under the headgear. Only thing I can say is that I must have learned to keep my mouth shut, at least in this one area
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, that could explain it. I wear mine over my mask and it generally reduces the leaks. But if you don't need it, that's even better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,539 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.