Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap with beard
RE: Chin Strap with beard
I would strongly urge you to go see an ENT doc.  I had similar breathing issues with mouth breathing and the use of nasal sprays.  The ENT found that I had sinus polyps that were obstructing the nasal/sinus passages that the OTC sprays were not helping.  I've had to have these things removed 3 times over the last 30 years.  Now, to keep them at bay, I use a nasal rinse in the morning and a prescription spray at bedtime. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2017, 01:38 PM)jasonarmstrong Wrote:
(04-28-2017, 08:36 AM)bonjour Wrote: When I used a chin strap (with a beard) even when extremely tight (I know) I couldn't stop my leaks.  I just over powered the chin strap and opened my mouth anyway.

This does work for some, but not all.  

Wearing the chinstrap helped me train myself to keep my mouth closed, better, but not all the way there,  What works for me is to tape my lips, contraversial, but it works for me.

Read the Mask Primer (in my sig) for ways to manage mouth breathing.  A fairly new "discovery" is a surgical colar worn loosly

I read the links in your signature great work Thanks   .....for the mouth tape what brand do you use?
I have the full face mirage quatro pro, mouth breather never tried a chin strap and looking at cervical collars as well.

I use a generic cloth sports tape.It actually has a fairly low stickness
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Looked at "Ultimate Chin Strap." $60 for a chin strap? For that, it should clean my mask, vacuum the floor and fix morning coffee.
Old man, new machine. Better sleep! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: the sinus issues.

It would be good idea to see a physician to identify any allergic, infectious, or structural issues affecting your breathing. There are treatments and procedures to help with most problems.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 368 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,174 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.