Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Perception of increased resistance during day after commencing CPAP?
Perception of increased resistance during day after commencing CPAP?
So I am wondering if it is normal to get the feeling that there is resistance with nose breathing during the day after starting nasal CPAP?

Trying to figure out if this is because it was always there or if it is something that can happen after starting CPAP.  (ie. mucosal swelling or something?)  I am not congested but it feels a little laboured now breathing through my nose during the day.  Not sure if this because it is assisted during the night and just a simple perception thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Perception of increased resistance during day after commencing CPAP?
CPAP has helped my nasal breathing during the day and I am in the middle of my seasonal hay fever allergies...never have my nasal passages been this open during the day during allergy season! If your humidity setting isn't on auto or even if it is, perhaps try turning it up a bit. Sometimes too much humidity can bother people too. But in general, most people benefit from a bit more humidity and CPAP therapy in their nasal passages. Perhaps give your body some time to get used to it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
you are changing so many things and sounds like you are really paying attention to what is going on with your breathing now. This is all good, but you will notice things that have always been there. It could also be that your breathing has just changed while adjusting to CPAP. Unless something is just keeping you from sleeping (like not getting enough air) give yourself some time t get used to things before you go making changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first night I got quite a lot of nasal swelling, so much so I struggled to breath even with the 10 cmH2O assist from the CPAP. Starting with day 3 the swelling totally is gone and I am breathing freer than ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick 
I found that I had a swollen face (where did my cheekbones go?) when I woke up, and put extra effort into short little exhales during the day (my Sister noticed) after I started APAP.  Both are better now (3 months in) that I've narrowed my pressure range and have better all around AHI (usually under 5; still working on it).  Also, with daily washing of the mask and short tubing the irritating plastic smell has decreased.  So I think that your perception is correct, and that the nose issue may improve with your overall improvement and adjustments to this process.  Hang in there!      Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2017, 02:39 PM)3mp0w3r Wrote: So I am wondering if it is normal to get the feeling that there is resistance with nose breathing during the day after starting nasal CPAP?

Trying to figure out if this is because it was always there or if it is something that can happen after starting CPAP.  (ie. mucosal swelling or something?)  I am not congested but it feels a little laboured now breathing through my nose during the day.  Not sure if this because it is assisted during the night and just a simple perception thing.

do you use the humidifier

that makes my nose congested
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 334 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 437 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 428 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 383 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased touwmus 23 2,027 07-02-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: touwmus
Question Ozempic and increased hypopneas arpegio 2 741 06-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Therapy Advise Switched to Full Face Mask AHI increased Roamomo 6 976 05-30-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: paulryan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.