Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Strap
Chin Strap
I'm new to all this. Started CPAP about 6 weeks ago. I am still experimenting with the mask, trying to get it to not leak and get used to it all.

I am using a Phillips Respironics Optilife Nasal Pillow. Seemed just fine at the sleep clinic but at home my wife complains that I often have a noisy leak that wakes her up. She solved that by buying a pair of earplugs, but I digress...

I have pretty much narrowed my experimentation down to the chin strap. I am at this point thinking it does not do anything.

Any thoughts on the purpose of the chin strap? or how it is best to adjust it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Strap
The purpose of the chinstrap is to keep your mouth from falling open when your jaw-closing muscles relax. The idea is that it helps you prevent mouth-leaking.

The chinstrap can't be the cause of a leak unless it's somehow coming loose and pushing the nasal pillows out of position, something that would be easy to see!

Have you checked your "percent in large leak"? Scroll through the on-screen menu choices until you find it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Remo and WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Sleepster said in the post above.
Best of luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2013, 02:14 PM)Remo Wrote: Any thoughts on the purpose of the chin strap? or how it is best to adjust it?
welcome to apnea board
nasal pillows deliver therapy thru your nose. if during the night you open your mouth, the therapy delivered will be lost.
chinstrap helps to minimize mouth breathing by supporting your jaw and keeping mouth closed

full face mask provide therapy whether you breathe thru your nose or mouth

what you,re describing may also indicate mask leak which is separate issue from mouth leak
make sure the cushions are the right size for you and fitted correctly
also use mask fit feature at your set pressure so the mask maintain the seal during the night
wash the cushion to remove any facial oil
replace cushion if worn out

PRS1 unlike S9 don,t provide adequate info on the screen
SleepyHead software support PRS1 50 series but you also need to install the patch if your machine 60 series
take the water tank out first and look at the bottom of the machine
450 indicate ... 50 series machine
460 indicate ... 60 series machine (newer machine with the heated hose option)

Post Reply Post Reply
Remo, are you referring to the strap attached to the Optilife mask? If so, it's stated purpose is to help hold the nasal pillows/cushions in place. IF you can get it adjusted properly (i.e., snugly) it will also function as a chin strap for keeping your mouth closed.

You really need to experiment with the bottom slots on the mask to get the best fit for the chin strap. I've been using this mask for several years and truly love it, as it allowed me to discard my chin-straps.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for your replies.

I don't think I am having mouth leaks. The leaks I am aware of are mask leaks. I am not sure my machine gives me information on leaks, I will have to check it out and see what series it is.

Yes, it it the chin strap on the Optilife mask that I am referring to.

I have been experimenting with the fit of the headgear and the size of the nasal pillows.

The technician at the sleep clinic used Medium for my study, and it seemed to be ok there but I have been unable to recreate the same fit at home. I vacilate between Medium and Small sized pillows. It seems to me that the medium is the right size "pillow" but they are spaced too far appart. The Small feels better, but the pillows are probably on the edge of being too small. It's like spacing is right on the small, and the size should be somewhere between the Medium and Small.

And adjsutment of the headgear is also still a work in progress, but I think I am good there, except for the chin strap.

It may just come down to needing more time to get used to it. I still loose a lot of sleep time fidgeting with my mask.

How long did it take you to get "comfortable" with it?

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I checked, mine is a newer "60" series machine.

Someplace I read (I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and for get where I read what) that the PRS1 does not report anything more than "compliance" and looking though the screen on the machine that appears to be correct. All I see is a rudmentary summary of how many hours a day the machine is used.

Are you saying that the "SleepyHead" software will give me more information out of this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 05:40 PM)Remo Wrote: Are you saying that the "SleepyHead" software will give me more information out of this machine?
No. the software only shows the data which the machine written on the card

so if your machine PRS1 Plus ... only compliance data (how many hours using the machine each night) shown on the machine and on the card

PRS1 Auto and Pro are data capable machines shows efficacy data on the machine and on the card

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I was afraid that was the answer.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you just got the machine, take it back and demand a data capable one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 369 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,543 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,178 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.