Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin Straps and email from Trish
Chin Straps and email from Trish
I've received the following email from my friend Trish Britton. Her and her husband Sam operate a popular current events podcast on the web. Trish is blind, but she uses some sort of automatic email and forum reading software that reads emails and posts to her audibly. She can't easily use the forum software to post a message, but asked me to post this question from her.

I thought it would be better to get replies from many people rather than just my own opinion.

Trish:
if you're reading this, feel free to email me with any questions or replies and I'd be glad to re-post them here in this forum thread.

Forum members, please help if you can offer some advice to Trish. Please reply to this post with any suggestions. Here is her email question:

Trish Britton Wrote:Hey there SuperSleeper,

How are you doing? I'm doing well but, I've come callin' again to ask you a couple questions one about chin straps and the other about nasal pillow masks.. First of all, I have a "Resmed S9 AutoSet™ For Her Auto-CPAP System with H5i™ Heated Humidifier,"" ( I use a "Resmed" "Mirage Activa™ LT Nasal CPAP/BiLevel Mask, (small,) with Headgear," (Small,) my pressure is 10, However, I'm not sure of my total range.

anyway, right now, I'm using the "Resmed Chin Strap, (Small,) but it doesn't stay on my head very well by the time I get my mask on because it is so narrow. I have tried some others that cover more space, but THEY, make me feel abit clostraphobic.

Next question: When I was using my first "Respironics" machine, I tried the "ComfortLite 2 Cushion and Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask With Headgear - Direct Seal 4-5 and Simple Cushions Small/Medium" but THEY irritated my nose so bad inspite of using moisture creams, lubricants, etc. . I think they might be better but what do you do if you've tried the creams and lubricants to no avail?

I'm sorry if this is too much detail, (more than you probably wanted to know, Ha-Ha-Ha,) I just figured this would help you in answering my questions.
Feel free to put it on the forum as I have a difficult time working the blog.
You can use the e-mail in the header to send information to me.

Thank you for your help in advance, Trish
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin Straps and email from Trish
Trish - I use the Activa LT myself, have done for a couple years now. I've thought about trying nasal pillows a couple of times, just to rid myself of the forehead pad, and the bar down in between my eyes... but I haven't because of all the posts I've seen about people having exactly the problems you describe with the pillows - sore nose, needing to use cremes, etc.

In the time I've used the nasal mask I've had a "painful" problem once - the first few days. One night it rubbed under my nose and was sore for a couple days. Thats it, and that was actually my own fault. :-) I had it up to high on my face.

My AHI is less then 1 on average, I have no leak issue, and no comfort issues with the mask... Its made me very unwilling to experiment with pillows that I've seen people have issues with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used nasal pillows exclusively after starting to use them about 8 months after I started using CPAP. I went through a ton of masks until I found one I liked. I had major problems with all the nasal masks leaking at the top, causing the air to hit my eyes.

The only times I have had sore nose is

- from when it was too tight and pressing too hard. The Swift LT for Her was exceptionally difficult to keep in place without making it tight. Which led to a lot of leaks.
- a new mask that literally rubbed me the wrong way until I found where and how to adjust it for me
- and a mask that hurt just because of the design. The Mirage Swift seemed to always give me a tender upper lip

Currently I use the Breeze which literally just sits right in place. I absolutely love this mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
HPA Lanolin is what I recommend for use with nasal pillows. Apply a small dab on a q-tip to the inside of each nostril. Adjust the nasal pillow so it's not pushing upward on your nose too hard. The lanolin will help you get a good seal with a loose fit so that you won't irritate the nose.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trish
I haven,t used nasal pillows but read a lots about the nose irritation it can causes and most of times the HPA Lanolin cream is recommended. I also use the Activa LT nasal mask which is light and with the way the cushion is designed allows to wear it loosely and usually turn the forehead dial right out and as put the mask on and start the machine to allow the cushion to inflate fully and clip the lower strap then adjust the forehead dial to stop any minor leak. If you find yourself mouth breathing a chinstrap may help, some chinstrap better than others. You may try full face mask can be a bit claustrophobic and leaky but with your small size and pressure at 10 which is not too high might be able to tame the beast.
Best of luck Sleep-well Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. I too had a lot of trouble and soreness with the "Pillows". After tring several masks i settled on the
Resmed Mirage Activa"...it is a super mask. Ialso had to start using a chin strap and the Resmed one does keep falling off the head. I now use one that goes over and under the ear plus overtop of the head and velcroes behind the neck. I can't find the brand name but as soon as i do I'll let you know. You'll find it makes a big difference.
Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
bumpa.. I think that you are referring to the one made by Cardinal Health. Its call "Puresom Ruby adjustable chinstap". Order # TMS-09ADJ.

I use the CareFusion strap. It only has one adjustable strap and it will slip off your head. To remedy that, I took a 2"X3" piece of the gripper part of Velcro and sewed it on to the underneath side of the strap with the gripper side down so it is against the top of my head. It sticks/grips to your hair, doesn't hurt, and doesn't slip..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP said that she found the more elaborate chin straps to be claustrophobic. I'm refering to the type that makes you look like you're geared up for a wrestling match. Does anyone know of a chin strap that might stay on better but not be so claustrophobic? This might help the OP.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. Trish has joined the forum and her username is: trish6hundred.

I hope she's able to post and reply okay.

Trish, if you make it here, let me welcome you to the forum.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 595 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,100 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,170 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 407 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 297 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.