Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin dropping down causing high AHP and AI
RE: Chin dropping down causing high AHP and AI
(04-15-2013, 11:10 AM)djjwilly Wrote: I've got real jaw problems myself. I found that my jaw was lowering even with a full fask mask on and causing leaks. Now I have the Innomed Hybrid mask, which is a full face mask, but with nasal pillows. The key to it is that it has a plastic cup on the bottom that my chin rests in. It is keeping my jaw closed which is really hard to adjust to. My AHI's are high at the moment, and I still have to figure out why. The chin cup does help way more than a chin strap, which is torture. I thought I'd mention that to you. DJ

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the masks with the lower chin cup built in but have not tried as yet. The mirage full face mask produces very low leaks but the AHI and AI are climbing steadily.
ArfitoJr
Post Reply Post Reply
ArfitoJr, I've got an update on the Innomed hybrid. I've come to realize that the chin cup is too flexible to keep my darn jaw from opening! What a bummer that was. I thought I finally had the right mask. I'm now trying a bigger full face mask, but my AHI's were rather high again last night. There must be other factors that affect AHI in addition to leaks. I need to investigate that further. I'm not sure what to do about the chin thing but I can say I've had it up to my chin!!! Sorry this is really no help whatsoever. Love, DJ
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2013, 09:47 AM)djjwilly Wrote: ArfitoJr, I've got an update on the Innomed hybrid. I've come to realize that the chin cup is too flexible to keep my darn jaw from opening! What a bummer that was. I thought I finally had the right mask. I'm now trying a bigger full face mask, but my AHI's were rather high again last night. There must be other factors that affect AHI in addition to leaks. I need to investigate that further. I'm not sure what to do about the chin thing but I can say I've had it up to my chin!!! Sorry this is really no help whatsoever. Love, DJ

I have abandoned my full face mask for now as the AHI and AI's kept on going up. I had good success with the leaks on the full mask but now that I have gone back to my nasal mask and chin strap my AHI's are at 4.5 and the AI's at .1. My leak factor on the nasal mask is consistently 22. About a year ago while in my physicians office there was a full face mask with a fairly rigid chin rest but I do not remember the manufacturer. I am going for my yearly checkup soon and I am going to discuss with physician the mask situation. Thanks for your reply and I hope you find a solution. ArfitoJr
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='Shastzi' pid='34091' dateline='1365536687']
humm. 6.3 AHI isn't too bad for one night. AHI of 19.5 not good though. Hmm... Below 5.0 (daily) is more acceptable though.
The leaks seem a bit high. But the machine should be able to compensate.
I use a Quattro FX and I get 0.0 leaks unless I take the mask off to make a late night pit stop or I messed up & didn't wash my stuff...
Once or twice I had to re-tighten the straps to handle the higher pressures and at such times I used the mask leak test function from the front panel menu. That will run up the pressure for you so you can check to see if the straps are stretching on your head gear.
Very handy trick!

If you have stepped through all that mess and still have a 5L/min leak then maybe your face contour doesn't quite do well with your current mask and change in mask design is in order. ( I burned through 5 different masks that way, till I hit the Quattro FX. )

See how it goes for the rest of the week!
If your AHI can get below 5.0 each day you're doing great!

The cheyne-stokes issue will be for the other experts here.

Good Luck & stay in touch!

Wink
Have gone back to my Resmed Mirage Ultra Nasal mask and a chin strap. With that I am getting AHI's of 4.5 and AI's of .1, but the leak is consistently 22 which indicates that I am still opening my mouth some at night. The Mirage Quattro I got good results for about 2 nights and then the AHI and AI kept on going up each night, although the leak factor was only 2. I am soon going in to my physician for an annual checkup and I will see if he can solve the problem. I do find the quattro more comfortable to wear but the results are poor. ArfitoJr

Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks of 22Lpm is not good for most machines cannot compensate for leaks above 20Lmp (but check your machine specs to be sure)

If all your good pressure is getting leaked off then it's not doing you any good.

Thinking-about
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 597 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.