Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap ........ :(
Chin strap ........ :(
You folks that use the chin strap successfully - how did you learn this art form? I have had the PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much. I am struggling with the chin strap far more than I ever struggled with any of my cpap masks. Is it supposed to be like this until I get used to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap ........ :(
Define "struggle" Gramma,

What's it doing that is creating issues for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 02:28 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much.

I like the pap-cap. It's all cotton and not stretchy.

As for "not tighten too much", I suspect that's just "don't sue us" language. It needs to be tight enough to keep your mouth shut . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 03:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Define "struggle" Gramma,

The strap slips out of place and ends up over my ears or the chin holder covers my lip. My hair is fine and now that I'm older, I don't have much of it. It is probably my fault it doesn't 'stay put', but I definitely don't have the hang of it yet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 03:13 PM)Terry Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 02:28 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much.

I like the pap-cap. It's all cotton and not stretchy.

As for "not tighten too much", I suspect that's just "don't sue us" language. It needs to be tight enough to keep your mouth shut . . .

Nope. The chinstrap is not supposed to "force" anything. It is used gently to encourage the jaw to stay forward, and the mouth to remain closed. But properly applied, you can still open your mouth, speak, and drink water - or whatever.

If you use it so tight that it "forces" your mouth to stay shut you will probably soon learn the meaning of pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 03:20 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 03:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Define "struggle" Gramma,

The strap slips out of place and ends up over my ears or the chin holder covers my lip. My hair is fine and now that I'm older, I don't have much of it. It is probably my fault it doesn't 'stay put', but I definitely don't have the hang of it yet.

Some people do have difficulty with the single-strap chinstrap. But I think it's more a matter of you getting used to it, and it getting used to you. Keep experimenting with where to place it so that it doesn't slip out of place too often. I use mine underneath the P10 mask, and I think that helps everybody to stay put. Try it both ways.

All else failing, you could try staples.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't need one, but the DME included one in my "package" and I did try using it. Like Gramma, it just wouldnt stay in place! It may be supposed to move the jaw forward, but instead it moves it back, and it sat on my face precariously. I think the issue is that they are one size fits "all" and I have a very short face. It just doesnt fit properly. (it is the phillips chinstrap they handed out... goes around the head and has an adjustable back strap that slides up and down) I'm super happy that I managed to learn the suck your tongue to the roof of your mouth trick! I have even awakened with my mouth open yet a with a secure airlock (and no leaks ) with the tongue maneuver.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only found 2 out of 4 chinstraps, that I've tried, to really work. Both have a back-of-the-head retaining strap in their design. Out of the 2, only one will push my jaw forward and not back into my throat. This one has "ruby" in the name.

I hope thios may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wore one at my sleep study. hated it. It ended up slipping off and I started losing air out my mouth.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only had two nights where I wished I had a chin strap in 6 months. I got a cheap one, and its pretty good, but it is more annoying than the mask itself. I kind of gave up after a couple of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,700 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 642 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 421 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,261 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 555 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,767 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 282 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.