Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap and duct tape
Chin strap and duct tape
It's not what you think (that would be dangerous)...

I have this Ruby brand chin strap I really like. It has velcro patches so you can adjust the size. The velcro is glued to the neoprene. The velcro also creates a stronger bond than the glue does.

The day I received the first one I bought, I noticed the velcro patch was already peeling away from the chin strap. I tried to adjust it and rather than the velcro pieces coming apart, the velcro separated completely from the neoprene. Sent it back and bought a replacement.

The second one looked better and has lasted several months. I don't think I ever tried to adjust this one, just hoping it stays together. But, the velcro has been tearing away from the neoprene little by little, so I thought I would try and repair it with duct tape.

I carefully cut some gorilla tape and pressed it over the tear so that none of the sticky surface of the tape was exposed. Looked like it might stay in place. Next morning when I woke up I discovered that duct tape doesn't stick to the neoprene, but it does stick to hair pretty well.

So I'm back to square one ... I have this nice Ruby chin strap that is gradually tearing apart where the velcro strip won't stick to the neoprene.

This is clearly a manufacturing design issue. I bet someone else has run into it.

Anybody got a good solution for this repair? I am about to sew it in place since I never adjust it.

And a brief lesson learned ... don't use duct tape around hair Smile

Saldus Miegas

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap and duct tape
(07-02-2016, 01:37 PM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: Next morning when I woke up I discovered that duct tape doesn't stick to the neoprene, but it does stick to hair pretty well.

Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered switching to a fixed size Ruby chinstrap? I'm thinking about ordering one the next time I need a chin strap. I haven't had to adjust my Ruby style (generic instead of the Puresom) adjustable since I fitted it the first time. I think I may be satisfied with the fixed size. I found a sizing guide online for the generic Ruby if you are interested. I have had very good luck with the generic.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't have access to a sewing machine that could sew it down, go to a shoe repair shop. Probably wouldn't cost much. Glad to know Ruby masks have that problem. I'd thought of trying out that band--using a Respironics Premium which works pretty well but is a little large thus hard to adjust for my small head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 03:34 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: If you don't have access to a sewing machine that could sew it down, go to a shoe repair shop. Probably wouldn't cost much. Glad to know Ruby masks have that problem. I'd thought of trying out that band--using a Respironics Premium which works pretty well but is a little large thus hard to adjust for my small head.

Brilliant ideas, thanks SideSleeper and pupcamper.

I see lots of listings for Ruby chin straps by different companies and showing slightly different pictures. Not sure if "Ruby" is a color/style/design or all the same product with numerous private label resellers. At any rate the ones that came apart on me were called "CareFusion Ruby Stop Snoring Chin Strap Large - XL" by CareFusion.

That said, I intend to repair and keep the one I have. It's comfortable, it works, and leaves shallower lines on my face than others I have tried. When it eventually wears out I think I will take pupcamper's suggestion and buy the same chin strap in a fixed size.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2016, 05:23 PM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: I see lots of listings for Ruby chin straps by different companies and showing slightly different pictures. Not sure if "Ruby" is a color/style/design or all the same product with numerous private label resellers. At any rate the ones that came apart on me were called "CareFusion Ruby Stop Snoring Chin Strap Large - XL" by CareFusion.

From what I can find online, CareFusion makes the Puresom Ruby chin strap. Whether they are the original manufacturer or not I don't know. I haven't been able to find that info. I think you may be right on the private label sellers. The Ruby chin strap I bought on Amazon is described as a Ruby style chin strap and was five of six dollars less than what I saw the CareFusion/ Puresom Rubies advertised for. It has given me excellent service.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I had to laugh at myself (and the manufacturer) when I figured out a solution for this problem.

The problem is that the manufacturer glued a velcro patch to one side of the headstrap and used the velcro itself to attach the other side. The velcro is stronger than the glue, and so the left side separated while the right side stuck.

Here's the funny and simple solution I am trying ... when the glue failed and the velcro strip came off the left side, it occurred to me that both sides are made of the same fuzzy surface, so I simply spread the prickly velcro patch across both sides and let the velcro make the seal.

Now I think the manufacturer is wasting money and materials to glue the patch to the left side, when a simpler design would be to simply use the velcro on the patch to make a more secure seal across both sides.

Of course manufacturers of best selling products are not stupid or wasteful, so there may be more to this than meets the eye. I suspect that the cost of a bigger velcro patch to provide sufficient surface area on both sides is probably more than a thin strip of glue. In which case the manufacturer goes with the cheaper (perhaps inferior) solution.

For now I have split the surface area of the original velcro patch across both sides. If there is sufficient surface area to hold on both sides, then I've found a simple fix. Time will tell.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you have found a good solution to your problem. Let us know how it goes.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear from you, Saldus even if it was only because you were having a problem.

Take care,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 594 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 361 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,098 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  mouth tape cberistain 15 665 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.