Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap and jaw pain
Chin strap and jaw pain
Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing some jaw pain during the day since i use the chin strap.
I did't have any pain when it was more loose but it would fall out of position during the night. I guess it is too tight.

Anyone has any advice on how to wear it? Or other solutions?

Is it possible that chin strap favor theeth grinding?

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap and jaw pain
It is too tight Ghandi. You want it tight enough to not fall off, but not so tight that you cannot open your mouth easily. If it just won't stay put, you may have to get a different style.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, perhaps all chin straps are not created equal so you might might ask about your particular brand & style.

A LOT of people love/use the "Ruby Red Chinstrap" (which may be what you use) which could mean there is specific advice IF you use that one OR it might mean you would benefit from trying it if you don't.

NOTE: This represents NO recommendation from me as the one I bought is still unopened in the package

(I found it the other night when my wife was going to try a P10, but she didn't need it either.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks retired guy,

Well it felt like i could open my mouth easily. I'll have to experience with that.

I'll try to find the sweet spot untill thursday. By then if it's not working i'll order another model.
My cpap store only had 2 models.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go ahead and laugh but I made my own chin strap from the waist band of some insulated underwear that I no longer use. It's 1" wide 11" long (folded in half = 22" circumference) and the outer surface is cotton that's softer than a baby's bottom. The tension seems perfect and it stays in place very well. Testing it on a digital scale shows a pull of 2# when stretched to the size to fit me. I can always shorten it to get more tension if need be. I have no idea what tension a store bought strap would have. Do any of you know?
Post Reply Post Reply
Old underwear and a baby's bottom? I am going to laugh now -- for a while. Smile

I THINK that the store bought variety typically has velcro fasteners/adjustments so that you can get near 0 tension when your mouth is closed and high(er) tension as you try to open.

But really, I don't know much about chin straps so you probably should just ignore me -- especially while I am still laughing.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I had great success with ResMeds Chin Restraint.

Just tight enough that you have to use just a little effort to open your mouth.

Good Luck Ghandi
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Herb, Now don't run out and buy some insulated underwear since they cost more than a chin strap. Smile

I just happen to have these left over from the old days when I used to ski the slopes in CA. (That's California not central apnea)
Post Reply Post Reply
[Phony mexican accent] We don't need no stinkin' chin straps.

THOUGH I was WONDERING where to get old underwear but finding a baby's bottom to test it was going to be more of a problem since even our grandkids are too old for that.

[STILL LAUGHING]
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
This thread has now started to paint a picture that I fear will be with us all for far too long.

SD2; Be aware there are some things, that though they may work, should be kept to ones self. Like you and you're ..... well let's just politely say "old insulated underwear band".

Herb had it right (real Mexican accent); "We don't need no STINKIN chinstrap" Grin

Now I shall go laugh Dielaughing
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,539 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.