Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap cause problems?
Question 
Chin strap cause problems?
Hi, can a chin strap cause jaw problems after long term use? I had braces as a teenager which corrected an overbite. I currently use the Dreamwear nasal cushion and love the mask. However, I sometimes mouth breathe and wake up with a seriously dry mouth. I tried a soft cervical collar but that ended up giving me neck issues. My chiropractor said he would rather me use a chin strap than a soft cervical collar. My concern would be long term use of a chin strap would cause jaw issues. Am I being paranoid?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap cause problems?
The trick with the chin strap is getting one that doesn't pull back on your jaw instead of up. Another thing is to make sure it's not tight and pulling on your jaw. It should hold your jaw closed without putting any pressure on it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Get one that wraps round your head with gaps for the ears.
I got a good one from China, a fraction of the price of buying one here.
The chin strap should be just tight enough round the back of the head to hold it in place, then tighten the top strap to pull up on the jaw rather than back on the jaw.  You might still get air leaking from the lips.  I have yet to beat this problem, but most nights I get by and do get some nights with 0.0 AHI.  If it is below 0.3 I am happy  and usually get a big green Big Grin on the machine.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I had TMJ and found that my chin strap actually helped my TMJ.
Larch45
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,492 6 hours ago
Last Post: jiyun
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,743 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,204 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 654 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 236 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.