Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap covering mouth?
Chin strap covering mouth?
Hi all,

2 months into pap therapy and got a good chin strap to go with pillows however I still have times where my lips are open. I want something permanent and not tape. Any thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap covering mouth?
You know. That would be a good invention. My chin strap holds my cheeks in and helps with mouth leaks that way, as well as holds my chin up. They need to design a better strap, one that holds the chin up, cheeks in and lips together. That should not be too difficult.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2016, 09:59 AM)Rcgop Wrote: You know. That would be a good invention. My chin strap holds my cheeks in and helps with mouth leaks that way, as well as holds my chin up. They need to design a better strap, one that holds the chin up, cheeks in and lips together. That should not be too difficult.

I've seen homemade ones, and I saw someone somewhere found a manufactured one but. Now I can't find the forum or company...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi coldspaghetti,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck finding a chinstrap, there are quite a few out there, so it's like masks, they are trial and error, you might have to try several before you find one that works.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My thoughts. I don't know of any easy way to fix the small puffs of air that sometimes escape from the mouth. (If that's the type of mouth leak you are talking about.)

My understanding of the whole mouth leak issue is that if you're losing enough air from your mouth to register as a "large leak" then yes, you have to fix it.

If the chin strap is working correctly, it should help you to keep your tongue and jaw in a position so that you won't have large leaks from your mouth. (If you relax your tongue and jaw, you can end up with air going straight into your nose then right back out your mouth - that's the sort of mouth leak you have to avoid.)

If you're not talking about large leaks, but just little "puffs" of air, then I don't think you have to do anything about those, unless they are causing comfort issues for you like dry mouth or chapped, dry lips.

I have been wondering about the mouth leaking issue, because I typically see 20-30 minutes of "expiratory mouth breathing" on my breathing flow rate graph each day. It happens during one or two periods of sleep where I also have the most obstructive events.

I'm not 100% sure all my conclusions about this are correct, so I'll wait to see if other people have something different to say.

(06-26-2016, 08:40 AM)coldspaghetti Wrote: Hi all,

2 months into pap therapy and got a good chin strap to go with pillows however I still have times where my lips are open. I want something permanent and not tape. Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one way to consider..
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...eal-Method
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 228 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.