Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap, ear lobe issues, confused
Chin strap, ear lobe issues, confused
Hello,

Now here's where I'm confused. Ive been using a mirage fx for 4 years. Issues with my DME I've had to change, but in those 4 years when Id get a new mask, about 6-8 months, I would compare with my current one and put straps in the same spots. The last mask I used for over a year without issue. 4 years no problems.
New DME gives me a quick prescription temporarily so I can get a new mask. On the new one the straps ride up, bend my ears back, and hurt. I got for the new sleep study and they gave me a spare mask, exact same thing, rides up. 
So I take the straps from my old trusty and put it on the new mask. No luck, straps ride up. so i figure its the masks shape guiding it in that direction, I dunno.
so i put my old strap back on old mask and go back to that. Surprise, strap rides up. I seem to have lost the perfect setting.
Now trying to read up I see a lot of suggestions for padding the strap, buying covers, etc. but I was fine for 4.5 years + with the current setup and now I have issues.
Any ideas? All I can remember is the top straps were fairly loose as I didnt see any performance change whether they were loose or tight. Maybe needing bottom ones tighter so no need to ride up? But then its pushing on my nose more than I remember. 
I cant seem to win.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap, ear lobe issues, confused
All of that and you couldn't perhaps mention which mask you're using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 07:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: All of that and you couldn't perhaps mention which mask you're using?

Unless it was a later edit the mask is listed as a Mirage FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope, I missed it. sorry. So I gather it is the lower strap slipping upward. My usual answer is to try a different mask or nasal pillows. That is a lot of hardware on your head.

[Image: miragefx_8_1.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll just throw something else out there to consider. Over a period of four years, our faces may change shape, lose or gain fat, skin tends to sag.... Dont-know These things may have caused the mask straps to feel loose and ride up or move. Again, I’m just speculating.

Try washing the straps in very hot water, that may shrink them up a bit.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2018, 10:47 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I’ll just throw something else out there to consider.  Over a period of four years, our faces may change shape, lose or gain fat, skin tends to sag.... Dont-know   These things may have caused the mask straps to feel loose and ride up or move.  Again, I’m just speculating.

Try washing the straps in very hot water, that may shrink them up a bit.

Normally I would agree and that would make sense. Like the new ones being different, etc.
But odd that I went right back to the exact same one i had on for over a year and magically its riding up. Its only been about 2-3 weeks since I used it so I don't think my face/head changed that much.
I wish I had documented better the existing configuration prior to messing around with it. i thought I would never need it again. Last night seemed a little better. I loosened the top almost all the way so barely any influence of that pulling up. Then right strap is tighter than left, not symmetrical. i do remember left being looser and more beat up since thats what I would pop off. So loose top, right right seemed to fix it in place.  If I make the straps any tighter than its pushing the pillow into my gums and that's not what I'm looking for.
1 night doesnt say much just yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update,

For the straps riding up, I made my own fix. I took a strip of the velcro/cable ties we use at work for wires. I have it hooked on each side ride around where the main straps velcro is, and have it come across under my chin/jaw like a football helmet.
Nice and loose and once regular straps get up to base of my ear, it makes contact on my chin and stops it in place. 
I just have to take a few extra seconds to strap that in , and kind of sharp where I cut it, so it stabs me. Ill have to round that off.

Also I was able to use Sleepyhead and pull up some old stats which had my old settings before the technician changed them.
Now that i put those back and also set it to standard tube, the pressure seems much lower, even though its how i always had it. 
I'm finding I dont have those mini snores when breathing in and I wake up and confirm it says its on 10-10.4 which was what I remember. 

Im also trying this Eson 2 mask. Stupid me didnt like the filter on top as it wasnt allowing any air, so I ripped it out. Only to find its a clip that I could have removed. Oh well. But then air pressure was too much i could feel from arms length. so took some cloth from eye glasses cleaner, cut a piece out, put it in and taped it in and ive had a week of no issues so far. 

Side note, I do find it odd 1 and half weeks after my sleep study I hadnt heard back. I call them up , and my follow up to talk to DME is June 19. A whole 2 months after the study.
I'm not sure i like where this is going already.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to YouTube and find videos on your mask. It will show how to size it. yes, you've worn this model for a while but there's usually something we forget somewhere.

Second, 2 mos after the study is about right.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 172 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 517 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,700 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 216 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 109 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 226 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 131 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.