Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap failure
Chin strap failure
Hi, When I'm awake I breathe through my nose but as I relax to sleep my jaw drops and I end up breathing both through my nose and mouth. I've tried a simple chin strap under chin and over top of head and it doesn't prevent my mouth from opening. Any recommendations on other types and brands of chin straps would be appreciated.
Also, I've heard that it is possible to overcome mouth breathing by other means like exercise. Any advice please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap failure
Hi vianite
Chinstrap can help keep mouth closed while using nasal mask otherwise if mouth leak is excessive would compromise the treatment

As you're using full face mask, breathing through your mouth in not an issue as full face mask allow you the option of breathing through your nose or mouth without compromising the treatment

If you're having leak due to mask not fitted and/or sealing properly, that is another issue altogether and chinstrap not going to help in this scenario

Try another mask, recently I tried 3 full face masks as wanted one as a backup
Tried F10, Quattro Air and F&P Simplus
I decided on Quattro Air (Quattro Air uses the same cushion as the F10) ymmv

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2014, 05:42 AM)zonk Wrote: Hi vianite
Chinstrap can help keep mouth closed while using nasal mask otherwise if mouth leak is excessive would compromise the treatment

As you're using full face mask, breathing through your mouth in not an issue as full face mask allow you the option of breathing through your nose or mouth without compromising the treatment

If you're having leak due to mask not fitted and/or sealing properly, that is another issue altogether and chinstrap not going to help in this scenario

Try another mask, recently I tried 3 full face masks as wanted one as a backup
Tried F10, Quattro Air and F&P Simplus
I decided on Quattro Air (Quattro Air uses the same cushion as the F10) ymmv

Thanks Zonk, I would like to stop breathing through my mouth when I sleep regardless of the type of mask I use. It just feels wrong and I get a bad taste and dryness in my throat even with a high humidity setting. Also the mask I'm using is fine - no leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just so you know? A large number of us can't get chinstraps to work or keep our lips closed enough to avoid large leaks - so many of us have given up and gone to a full face mask (FFM) - most recently Paula...

The key is to train your tongue to stay at the roof of your mouth just behind your front teeth, and create a vacuum. I for one can do that about 40% of the nights, self-talk may also help here - you will suffocate if you breathe through your mouth, etc... you're underwater and can only breathe through the mask, and so on. But in the end, I too gave up and now use a FFM.

Best of luck to you.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2014, 06:57 AM)vianite Wrote: Thanks Zonk, I would like to stop breathing through my mouth when I sleep regardless of the type of mask I use. It just feels wrong and I get a bad taste and dryness in my throat even with a high humidity setting. Also the mask I'm using is fine - no leaks.

I use a FFM and have somewhat the same problems that you are describing. I do not mouth breathe but I certainly leak through my mouth. The FFM keeps this leakage from negatively affecting my therapy but it does not help my occasional dry mouth. I have done 2 things that have produced positive results.

First my original FFM was a little large and actually pushed my lower jaw down making it very difficult to keep my mouth fully closed. I finally gave up and bought my own smaller size of the same mask. That helped a lot. I also practice keeping my mouth closed and positioning my tongue while I am in bed and masked up with my VPAP on but before I go to sleep. I am still getting a very little drying but it is much improved.

I do have a chin strap in case I need to go to that but so far things seem to be working OK. I hope some of this may be of some help to you. It is a difficult problem to overcome. I do not consider that I have completely overcome it yet but i have gotten enough improvement to be somewhat happy about it.

Good Luck to you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a chin strap in an attempt to keep my lips closed vs my mouth.

There's the fake-Ruby by Supplier #1 (Supplier List link at top of every page). It has two places of adjustments and does stretch over time so will need to be adjusted at times. When you wash it, don't wring it dry. Just press it inside a towel then hang up to finish drying. This helps it to shrink back. It's major failing for me is it has a seam in the middle of the chin cup.

There's the home made job of rolling your own out of an Ace bandage. You need it tight enough your mouth cannot open but not so tight you cannot chew with effort.

Check out the Review Forum for reviews of other chin straps.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-O...ct-Reviews
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2014, 06:57 AM)vianite Wrote: Thanks Zonk, I would like to stop breathing through my mouth when I sleep regardless of the type of mask I use.
In this case, chinstrap might work better with nasal or nasal pillows mask than with full face mask as its a necessity to keep mouth closed using nasal or pillows mask. Peter_C tongue trick is good one ... practice makes perfect

I use nasal mask and Seatec chinstrap, well made chinstrap but last night got sweaty and had to take it off during the night
Here in SW Sydney, temp is soaring during the day and the nights are warmer too

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for replies and advice. I'll keep plugging away and advise if I make any progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,536 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,170 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.