Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap for full beard
Chin strap for full beard
I have a long full beard= and have tried using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed while using my CPAP (nasal prong mask).
The chin strap just slips off of my chin and is useless.
Please recommend a specific chin strap or other method to keep my mouth closed.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap for full beard
I suppose you could try using bobby pins to fasten the strap to your beard. Other than that, trimming the beard is the thing I can think of.

Another option would be to try a full face mask, but with the beard it may leak.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anybody have successful experience with a full-face mask with a full and long beard?
Is there a chin strap out there whose design with discourage it slipping off a bearded chin?
Post Reply Post Reply
User PaytonA uses the same FFM as I. He has facial hair (have you seen his avatar?) He gets good results.
As for a FFM, I don't think it's the length of the beard that would be an issue; the density of hair in the crease of the chin under the mouth where the FFM must seal might be an issue.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
bedek,

There are chin straps with a "cup" for your chin that might help to hold it in place. Frankly, I find that running a chin strap under my jaw is more help for me than running it across my chin. I use a 3" wide chin strap that I put under my jaw so that it goes all the way back to my neck. You might need a narrower strap to keep it behind your beard but might be worth a try.

I do use a FFM very successfully but I keep the area between my lower lip and the crease above my chin pretty much clear of beard. I have used a nasal mask that seals above the upper lip. I got a good seal despite a fairly heavy mustache.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a beard and use a Ruby chinstrap with nasal pillows and it works fine for me. My beard is not long however the Ruby strap has a strap around the back of your head as well as over the top.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2016, 09:33 AM)bedek Wrote: I have a long full beard= and have tried using a chin strap to keep my mouth closed while using my CPAP (nasal prong mask).
The chin strap just slips off of my chin and is useless.
Please recommend a specific chin strap or other method to keep my mouth closed.
Thank you.

I too have a beard and before I bought a chin strap, I tried a sweat band. It worked, so I bought a chin strap thinking it would be better. It wasn't. Both were about the same.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I just shaved my beard off. I decided my therapy was more important to me than my vanity. Well, being an ugly scraggly thing anyway (the beard, not me - oh wait!) perhaps the decision was easier for me.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2016, 04:13 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I just shaved my beard off. I decided my therapy was more important to me than my vanity. Well, being an ugly scraggly thing anyway (the beard, not me - oh wait!) perhaps the decision was easier for me.

About 10 years ago I shaved off a beard I'd had for 14 years.

The one thing different: Less clean up after nose-blowing.

And electric razors have come a long way.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings,

My hubby has had a full beard for about 43 years and has been a CPAP user for about 15 years. He had no problem with using a chin strap until he had to get a full upper denture, then the chin strap put too much pressure on the gums.

So, keep your beard, contact various CPAP websites to see what their customers say and be sure they can be returned.

Good for you for staying the course!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,735 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 652 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,049 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 426 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,286 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.