Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap ideas again
RE: Chin strap ideas again
(08-21-2014, 11:59 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What chin straps do folks use for flapping lips? My mouth stays shut, but my cheeks are puffing out and air escapes between my lips.

Keeping the teeth together makes it easier to keep the tongue in place against the roof of the mouth keeping air out of your mouth. The standard advice is to press the tongue against the roof of the mouth, but not everyone can make that happen.

Ideally, the back of your tongue will seal off your mouth and prevent air from escaping. Not everyone can make this work. With my chinstrap properly adjusted, I can usually keep my tongue in the right place, and I don't end up with any air pressure in the mouth.

You might try using a non-adhesive ACE bandage over your lips looped around the back of your head. It might keep your lips from flapping outward, even though it won't keep them together without another chin strap. The Ace bandage is porous enough to breathe through if necessary.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recall Archangle said something about piece of ace bandage, might work better than chinstrap for balloon cheeks

Edit: he beats me to it, speak of the angel Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
The balloon cheek thing is relatively new. Just a few months since I had to start sleeping more on my back. Driving me freakin' nuts! Granted, it is a short drive to get there but still, it took me there.

I had forgotten the tongue against the roof of the mouth thing. I'll give that a try while my jaw heals.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Same issues ... cinched up every night for 21/2 years hoping my mouth would learn to stay shut the way the RN at the sleep study said. Nearly two weeks in now with using no chin strap (on a lark) - much more comfortable (but ... ) though I use a snore guard (a $500 one from a dentist, built from impression, etc,) which helps move lower jaw forward and keep teeth together, though I know my bottom jaw falls out now and then.

The but? Have been renting a Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for five nights, and my AHI is at 1.8 (pondering the switch between the 10 and basic Resmed 9 Escape) - which pleases me, and I feel like I;m sleeping better. So I've experienced the fluted lips, sore spot on jaw, that cinched feeling ... and think now I've put in my time and except for lips (the 10 records leaks, which my DME guy thinks is lips/mouth) will sleep much more comfortable. I like the 10 - convenient, handsome, love the high tech, reports, auto-on and off, access to data. Just waiting to see if Blue Cross Blue Shield will allow purchase...
ps - so few and light marks on my bright face in the morning, gone by the time I brush my teeth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 368 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.