Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hydrocodone and increased AHI?
RE: Hydrocodone and increased AHI?
I think I have good news. Had 7.4 hours of good sleep at 5.2 AHI. Tried a new pain RX called diclofenac sodium. Minor pain.

I am closely monitoring the AHI, but seems to be OK. Is there anything else I should be watching? Okay

I am hoping that I had some kind of unusual episodes and am back where I should be.

Tomorrow I go in for an "airways check". Something that they run on all apnea people and preop. I will mention the AHI problem and see what they think. They seem to be familiar with apnea and have asked me to bring the S9 when I have the surgery, as I will be asleep.

Don't know what kind of anesthesia they propose. Will keep you all informed.

Want to say again how much I appreciate your help these last few days. It is strange but comforting how close I feel to people here whom I have never met.

Still a little anxious about the surgery, but feel much better. A combination of your support, hopefully getting past some of the withdrawal symptoms, and a belief that the surgeon does these operations all the time and knows what he is doing.BUT I'll be watching and monitoring,Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Preop for shoulder surgery yesterday Jan 9. Told me not to take any aspirin-type pain relievers. Thins the blood and makes surgery harder. Talked with the anesthesiologist and she is quite familiar with apnea. Mentioned the Cheyen Stokes patterns and she understood it quite well.

Told her about the 38 AHI and she said that often happened when taking narcotics (Hydrocodone-acetaminophen) , it would be temporary and not to worry.

Took 1/2 5/325 hydrocodone-acetaminophen last night. AHI at 3.7. Maybe I'll beat this high AHI. Monitoring carefully.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2015, 09:12 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Preop for shoulder surgery yesterday Jan 9. Told me not to take any aspirin-type pain relievers. Thins the blood and makes surgery harder. Talked with the anesthesiologist and she is quite familiar with apnea. Mentioned the Cheyen Stokes patterns and she understood it quite well.

That includes Ibuprofen and Naproxen (aka Aleve); they are also NSAIDs and thin blood. One of the many things your anesthesiologist is responsible for controlling is blood clotting factors -- they use vitamin K to increase clotting; and warfarin to thin. (likely some other agents as well.)

Don't worry about it Bill, I'm sure you're in good hands; and you'll be polishing those Cadillacs in no time.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly bad news, but check with you doctor (i.e., don't listen to me beyond checking).

Diclofenac is an NSAID that also thins blood and has been disallowed before and after both of my surgeries (1 week). (Though I didn't need it immediately after surgery due to improvements and narcotic pain meds following surgery.)

Diclofenac combined with my actual blood thinner (Xarelto) DID cause increased bleeding although nothing exciting or emergent.

Also, it's common to give a blood thinner in the days following surgery so ensure the prescribers know about the diclofenac.

BTW, diclofenac was highly effective on pain where other NSAIDs proved ineffective. (E.g., Hip prior to surgery.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Been a few days since surgery and thought I would update. Coming home from the surgery was a breeze. My wife drove while I mostly slept.

I think it may be appropriate to start another thread more focused on surgery recovery. I will link to here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 09:25 AM)justMongo Wrote: Hi Bill:

Hydrocodone is a synthetic opioid. Well known to suppress central respiratory drive.
I see your apneas are central, so, I feel fairly sure it's the Norco.

Can you manage without the Norco? I don't know of a pain killer that will work as well, and not have the same effect of respiration.
I guess another alternative is to temporarily switch to an ASV machine which is used to treat people with central apnea.

Kindest regards,

Mongo

6 joint surgeries & chronic pain, have been taking Norco (Vicodin) for years with no problem.

I have mixed apnea with central about 90% cause, I don't see any link between central apnea and norco. Central is clearly neurological.

To save pills for day, I usually only take 1 (10/325) at night and then drop 2-3 when I wake-up to get pain under control.

I've had very serious trouble with over the counter sleep aids. Some are actually contraindicated for apnea.

So as much as I don't like Zolpidem, I have to take some to get even 3-4 hours of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 390 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 386 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 356 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased touwmus 23 1,935 07-02-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: touwmus
Question Ozempic and increased hypopneas arpegio 2 692 06-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Therapy Advise Switched to Full Face Mask AHI increased Roamomo 6 917 05-30-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: paulryan
  AirSense 10 increased water consumption 28AHIguy 9 1,478 03-17-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: elmo582

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.