Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap: not working. Alternatives?
Chin strap: not working. Alternatives?
The chin strap I'm wearing does not work every night. When it doesn't, I wake up out of breath. I notice as at times I wake up breathing through my mouth.

I'm using the P10 nasal pillows mask.

I would like to continue using nasal pillows.

However, if the chin strap does not work, the effects are quite negative.

What are my alternatives?

Full face mask? (Rather not, but of course, I'll do what it takes to get this sorted)

Different type of chin strap? (I ordered mine from Supplier #2, but the email confirmation I got does not specify what type it is)

The strap is a single piece, that straps over the head with velcro connection.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap: not working. Alternatives?
Gaffer tape? Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
Already tried that DeepBreathing. No luck.

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's one that has "Ruby" in the name that I've had good luck with. I call it the "Hannibal Lector" model. I just ordered the Respironics model to give it a try. Both of these chinstraps have a back strap which aids in preventing slippage. I have one that is a large elastic velcro strap. For me it's absolutely worthless. It won't stay on long enough to be of any use.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're unable to keep the seal that prevents air from escaping through your mouth, you might want to consider a Hybrid mask. These use nasal pillows and also cover the mouth or provide air pressure at the mouth.

Clearly a chinstrap can keep the mouth from sagging, but having your jaw closed does not prevent air from escaping through the mouth. There are some exercises you can do to learn to manage the seal of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and tissues in your throat. These may train you to maintain that seal. May or may not work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note this is based on my experience and is not an exercise protocol used in therapy to my knowledge. It is just some conscious training in how to manage CPAP air:

Try this exercise without the CPAP; breath through your nose with your mouth shut. Now where is your tongue positioned? Open your mouth and continue to breath only through your nose. Notice you must still block air using the back of your tongue? Now let the tongue block drop and see if you can continue to breath only through your nose. If you can, you're better than me. You can seal your mouth with tape or cover it with your hand and perhaps overcome the leaks, but it's hard and uncomfortable...this is what happens when you sleep and the tongue drops, whether you are normally a mouth breather or not. If the tongue drops at night, air will leak from the mouth, and this is why chin straps alone usually don't work.

Now try the same exercise with the CPAP on. Eventually you should learn to be able to control that pressure. Many of us with experience using nasal CPAP can even talk and manage air through the mouth with the pressure on. Learning this control may assist you if you can carry it over into sleeping. Being able to speak under CPAP pressure requires you to exhale through the nose against the pressure, and speak at the same time. It is something of a learned skill to block that air, but it is essential to successfully using nasal therapy. Practicing this during waking hours can help you be conditioned to forming this air-block and it is an essential skill to successful nasal therapy and improved comfort even in full-face therapy.

BTW, make a recording of the first attempt at this, because the sound that comes out is going to be hilarious. :lol:
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...chin-strap

This one worked for me and after wearing it for a while, I no longer need a chin strap because I keep my mouth shut when sleeping now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find I have better luck with a chin strap if ido the tongue to the roof of my mouth trick and position my jaw forward when I put my chin strap on. Keep working it.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips!

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
"I find I have better luck with a chin strap if ido the tongue to the roof of my mouth trick and position my jaw forward when I put my chin strap on."

Strangely that has done the trick so far. Excellent advice. Smile

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 318 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 560 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 142 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 340 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,028 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,436 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.