Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap question
Chin strap question
I am a mouth breather but find nasal masks much more comfortable than full face masks which constantly leak. Nasal pillows irritate my nose so hybrids are not a great option. Do chin straps really work? Which chin straps are the best?

Has anyone tried the papcap? Did you like it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap question
Yes, chinstraps really do work. The issue for some people is having them slip off while asleep. Some chinstraps have a single strap over the top of the head. If it slips off too often you'll have to get one that has two straps, one goes over your head and the other behind it. Some are more like a helmet in that they go over an extended area of the crown of your head so that they can stay in place and not slip off.

I wear my mask over my chinstrap which helps keep it in place. I know of people who make their own chinstraps from Ace bandages.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are they supposed to keep your mouth bompketely closed? When I tried the resmed strap, I was easily able to open my mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 01:20 PM)Roxy Wrote: Are they supposed to keep your mouth bompketely closed? When I tried the resmed strap, I was easily able to open my mouth

I am a chinstrap user and it's the helmet type. It cured my mouthbreathing problem. It should be tightened enough to just stop your mouth from opening. It takes a few nights to get it adjusted properly and to get used to it.
Stick with it!
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
It needs to be tight enough so that as you sit there and relax your lower jaw, it does not drop open. But it also needs to be loose enough that if you need to open your mouth, like to yawn, it will let you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roxy, I have used chinstraps, right now, I'm using one like sleepster described further back in this thread. I have a love-hate relationship with mine but everybody is different, you might not have any problems with it all. Best of luck and let us know how you do with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 01:20 PM)Roxy Wrote: Are they supposed to keep your mouth bompketely closed?

No, not at all. You can still talk, drink, and probably even eat.

Quote:When I tried the resmed strap, I was easily able to open my mouth

Me too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

No, not at all. You can still talk, drink, and probably even eat.

If you can eat, how does a chin strap prevent air escaping during the evening

Post Reply Post Reply
Since switching from full face mask to nasal mask and chinstrap...leak rate and pressure reduced significantly
It gives me more freedom sleeping on my sides
Its not like taping...Not meant to be overtight or covering the mouth
For me its just a reminder to keep mouth closed and minimizing therapy air escaping through the mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
Whisk me luck trying a nasal mask with a chin strap. I am a side sleeper and the full face mask keeps leaking despite using a liner
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,537 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,171 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.