Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap question
RE: Chin strap question
(09-02-2012, 05:43 PM)Roxy Wrote: Whisk me luck trying a nasal mask with a chin strap. I am a side sleeper and the full face mask keeps leaking despite using a liner
Good luck.
Have you tried lowering the minimum pressure 14?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 05:22 PM)Roxy Wrote: If you can eat, how does a chin strap prevent air escaping during the evening

When you fall asleep the muscles that control the motion of your jaw relax. Your jaw drops and the pressurized air escapes out your mouth. This is called mouth-leaking.

Some people can prevent it from happening. Some need a chinstrap to help. Others have to go with a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 05:22 PM)Roxy Wrote: No, not at all. You can still talk, drink, and probably even eat.

If you can eat, how does a chin strap prevent air escaping during the evening

Well, you don't put on the mask and chinstrap until you are ready for sleep. Google sleep hygiene.

If you are trying on the mask and getting used to everything by wearing it during the day, eating with the air on would be odd and may cause you to swallow air. I'd suggest taking it all off for that activity.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was not clear with my question. If the chin strap allows that much jaw movement, how does it prevent the mouth from opening and allowing air escape while you sleep? I put a resmed chin strap on today to see how it feels and it didnt really seem to provide any real resistance. I will try it tonight but can't imagine how it will prevent me from opening my mouth while I sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 06:49 PM)Roxy Wrote: I will try it tonight but can't imagine how it will prevent me from opening my mouth while I sleep
Chinstrap wont prevent you from opening your mouth but it can assist in minimizing mouth leaks
Its more like a bicycle training wheels ...It require patience and practice to work.
Its not going to happen overnight breaking long time habit of mouth breathing
It might help to practice breathing through your nose during the day so it can become second nature to breathe through your nose while asleep

Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense. Do most people who use a chin strap also gave a full face mask to use when you have a cold or do you go without cpap at those times?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 06:49 PM)Roxy Wrote: I was not clear with my question. If the chin strap allows that much jaw movement, how does it prevent the mouth from opening and allowing air escape while you sleep?

I guess I wasn't clear with my answer. When you fall asleep the muscles that control the movement of the jaw relax. Then your mouth falls open. The chinstrap provides just enough force to stop that from happening.

I didn't believe it would really work, either, but it does. At least for me and for a lot of others.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2012, 07:42 PM)Roxy Wrote: That makes sense. Do most people who use a chin strap also gave a full face mask to use when you have a cold or do you go without cpap at those times?
Full face masks can be god send to use when having cold or stuffy nose but they just don,t work for me
I don,t go without CPAP just try to use FFM as much as I can and might swap masks during the night

Post Reply Post Reply
When I have a cold, I don't do anything different except make sure the humidifier is clean, fresh, and full. The pressure of the air keeps the congestion out of the way.

Of course, as soon as I take the mask off in the morning, I can't breathe through my nose at all for some time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use a 3 inch non-adhesive Ace bandage wrapped 3 times around my head and held in a loop with safety pins. I can slip it on and off without undoing the safety pins.

Cheap, somewhat breathable, easy to adjust, simple to try.

A chin strap helps makes it take more force to open your jaw. It simply makes your jaw more likely to stay closed.

Even with your jaw closed, your lips can still open and let the air out, so chin straps won't work for everyone.

You want to seal your mouth with your tongue, not your lips. Try to keep your tongue pressed against the top of your mouth and seal off the air at the back of your mouth. You may be able to train yourself to do this by pressing up when you mask up and put the mask and chin strap on.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,724 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 648 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 426 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,284 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,805 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.