Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin strap suggestions?
Chin strap suggestions?
In my so far unsuccessful attempts to get my leaks under control I have decided to try a chin strap. I am not a mouth breather, confirmed during my sleep study, but I've tried everything else to control the leaks. I'm down to grasping at straws.

There are dozens of chin straps on the market, some of which are very expensive. What is the cheapest / best chin strap? Suggestions? Chin straps to avoid?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin strap suggestions?
All I can tell you is that some people have a problem keeping them on, so they make some models with more elaborate straps.

I use the Sullivan Chinstrap by ResMed and it works for me. They last a long time and can be machine washed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJJ,
There is one called the Puresom Ruby chinstrap, which is adjustable. I have used that one and like it, (as well as you can like a chinstrap, IMHO.)
The one I ALWAYS avoid is the resmed chinstrap because it won't stay on my head, because it is just a single strap, much like a headband with a chin cup, of course, YMMV.
I'm sure I made that about as clear as mud, HUH?
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you on this.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ, I use the PapCap. Made of cloth, strips of cloth with velcro to attach to cap and wrap around chin. Works for me most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJJ:
After trying several chinstraps I now use the ResMed Chin Restraint. It's lightweright, stays in position, is reasonably priced and washable. Using it made a big difference in my numbers.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't remember what chin strap I used to use; it was wide, had a split where the chin went, and velcro-ed at the top of the head. I'm convinced that this velcro closure caused the bald spot on my head. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
This morning I called my DME. They have several in stock, so I said I would drop by to see what they had. But then they said that my prescription must specifically say "chin strap." I'm pretty sure mine does not, else one would have been dispensed to me a long time ago.

I'm sure I'll have no problem getting the doc to amend my prescription and fax it to the DME, but I've spent the past two hours trying to reach the assistant who handles prescriptions without success. Frustration! Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Prescription must specify "chin strap"? Will they make you sign a release in order to try one on?

While you're picking that Rx up, you might want to have your doc give you a script specifying "ink pen" in case you need to sign anything.

Dielaughing

There is absolutely no way I would abide that kind of nonsense; but I guess that's why I don't deal with brick and mortar DMEs.

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2013, 06:08 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: There is absolutely no way I would abide that kind of nonsense; but I guess that's why I don't deal with brick and mortar DMEs.

As has been discussed on Apnea Board to the point of exhaustion, even within the same country, suppliers interpret the prescription requirements differently, including online as well as brick and mortar DMEs. Just for kicks I called a different brick and mortar DME in my city. They had no problem selling me a chin strap with or without a specific prescription.

I did not go to the second DME because I don't care for their service and getting to their store requires driving through an hour of screaming traffic. The first DME (my ordinary supplier) is wonderful. They joke with me about the "stupid prescription requirements" and encourage me to work things out on my own. They offered to show me how to change the pressure on my machine myself (although I had already figured it out thanks to Apnea Board). They were delighted when I took them copies of the Apnea Board flier to hand out to patients. And when I need to pay for something out of pocket they always "see what they can do" about the price - usually getting to the same price as online suppliers.

Occasionally I have to sing their praises here just to point out that not all DMEs are evil.

I must be especially fortunate because my doc is also great, and thrilled that I wish to take charge of things myself. I did finally get hold of the assistant who handles prescriptions. He said that the doc was talking to a patient at the moment, but the moment she was through he would have her sign the change in the prescription and fax it to the DME for me. Their entire practice actively encourages patients to educate themselves and manage their own therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

It's a chin strap. It straps under your chin. What do they think is going to happen?
Are they afraid you'll try to eat the thing in your sleep? Use it as an illegal slingshot?

I tried them before and they always end up on the pillow when I wake up.
Not useful!!
Smile

Ah well, I hope you can get it ironed out so you can get some sleep. Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 596 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.