Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin straps- how effective are they?
Chin straps- how effective are they?
I got my first CPAP machine this week and am trying to learn as much as I can about how to make this thing work.

I was given a Philips Nuance nasal pillow to use as my "mask." When the clinic asked me if I sleep with my mouth open or closed, I couldn't give them a definitive answer (I sleep alone, however my mother and a former partner can attest to my frequent snoring). I have to admit with all the wires they put on me and the video taken during the test, they couldn't determine if I did indeed sleep with my mouth open. I did snore during the test, using a full mask, so I can only conclude that they don't use the incidence of snoring as a single determinant of sleeping with an open mouth.

Nevertheless, they suggested I start with the nasal pillows and see what happens.

So far, it's been rough but I've tried to keep to my therapy of a minimum 4 hours use per night (I don't think I've gotten any sleep since I started using it). I used a full mask for the test and it left a mark on my nose so ideally I would like to stick with the nasal pillows. However, I'm also looking into adding a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. (I should add that I took a sleeping pill during the CPAP test so I wasn't all that bothered by the full mask until I noticed the red mark and soreness in my nose bridge the next day.)

Does anyone have any experience using the two together- the nasal pillows along with a chin strap? And whether the combination is effective in avoiding the face mask?

My setting is 6, btw.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin straps- how effective are they?
Yes, I use the 2 together. I went from a full face mask to nasal pillows and a chinstrap. My AHI went from a 6.83 to 2.31 overnight. I've tried 2 different styles of chinstraps; one that resembled a small Velcro belt and the other I refer to as the Hannibal Lector model. The manufacturer calls it a "Ruby chinstrap". I know that they are sold at suppliers #1 and 26 but probably everyone sells them. The "HL" model stays put easier and will conform to your facial features over time making it very comfortable. The belt version kept slipping off. I've found that the chinstrap helps develop muscle memory and I can leave it off for several days without any problems.

Remember, what works for one person may not for another.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 02:50 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Yes, I use the 2 together. I went from a full face mask to nasal pillows and a chinstrap. My AHI went from a 6.83 to 2.31 overnight. I've tried 2 different styles of chinstraps; one that resembled a small Velcro belt and the other I refer to as the Hannibal Lector model. The manufacturer calls it a "Ruby chinstrap". I know that they are sold at suppliers #1 and 26 but probably everyone sells them. The "HL" model stays put easier and will conform to your facial features over time making it very comfortable. The belt version kept slipping off. I've found that the chinstrap helps develop muscle memory and I can leave it off for several days without any problems.

Remember, what works for one person may not for another.

Good Luck!

Thanks sgearhart!

Two questions:
What is AHI?
Which should go on first, the chin strap or the nasal pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi novatom,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use a makeshift chinstrap because I had trouble with most of them.
I took the AirFit P 10 headgear, adjusted it to my head and sewed it together to make a very minimalist chinstrap but you might require a chinstrap that covers a larger area of your head, it's trial and error and an individual think, much like masks are. What will work for me, may, or may not work for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 02:55 PM)novatom Wrote: Two questions:
What is AHI?
Which should go on first, the chin strap or the nasal pillows?

1. AHI = Apnea-Hypopnea Index - Basically a ratio of sleep apneas/events compared to the length of time you're asleep.

2. Each chinstrap has its recommended order of donning. The belt version was to be used after putting on your mask. The headgear version recommends to be donned prior to the face mask. I just came across a post that has one user, with mask stability problems, putting it on after the mask to tie down the mask headstraps.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It was worthless for me. I have, apparently, a very round head. The thing wouldn't stay put no matter how I donned it--I'd feel it sliding even as I laid down.

It was recommended that I try that self-adhesive "Ace"-type bandage, so I got some; however, I must have trained myself to sleep with my mouth shut already, as it's still unopened and I haven't awakened with a dry mouth since I bought it. (Go figure.)

Lamb
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the best stay put chin straps ive tried is the Respironics Premium chin strap. Once on it stays put plus lifts the chin up instead of up and back. Its wide with a strap behind the head but it will keep the mouth closed and stay in place.

I still have it to use on stuffy nights when I know Ill open my mouth in my sleep. Otherwise I can get by without it.

As to a FFM if the nasal route fails try the F&P Simplus. Very easy on the nose no pressure points, seals well with a loose fit. Most comfortable FFM Ive had. Still have one as a back up to the Eson if I have a really bad cold or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before I quit on the nasal pillows, they were quite good at reducing leaks and dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
very.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me they are vital, I need the chin straps for any cpap ffm, nasal mask or nasal pillow to be useful at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 369 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,178 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 301 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.