Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin straps - how tight?
Chin straps - how tight?
Ok so my sleep doc has provided me a Resmed chin restraint but the instructions aren’t exactly the best! How tight are these meant to be?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chin straps - how tight?
It’s subjective. It needs to be tight enough to help keep you mouth closed, but not so tight it’s uncomfortable. It will take a little experimentation to get it right. I tend to wear one as tight as possible. 

A loosely worn soft cervicle collar can be more comfortable than a chin strap and as effective.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the Resmed chin restraint is one of the worst designs on the market. It is a stretch material with a single strap that will pull the chin up and back which will make airway restriction worse. Controlling leaks and keeping the chin withing a face mask is a fine objective, but a device needs to be designed to pull upward without pulling back. I was impressed with the Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap due to its use of non-stretch materials and ability to pull upward rather than back. We have had members that also used a PAP Cap or soft cervical collar to keep the jaw from moving.
[Image: Middle-of-Vertical-Lift.jpg?847]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the question "How tight?" should team with "Is it designed right?" and "Is this going to help?".

If it's not designed right, and will possibly add to the problem by poor design and moving the jaw back, tightness won't overcome that. Too tight is definitely wrong.

For myself, I'm not interested in getting a wrongly designed strap like that ResMed. However, I will look into getting the Knightsbridge and PAP Cap for myself. To me, it's not OK to pull the jaw back further and increasing the possibility of events and/or pain, injury by doing so.

Just my 2 cents Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I totally agree, I’ve emailed Knightsbridge to see if they have an XL as looks like their website is out of stock. I like the look of theirs over the pap-cap. Well I don’t like the look of it it’s bloody ugly but you know what I mean, support wise looks good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep us updated if you get either; which you choose, how it helps or not, etc. maybe even product review of it if you're up to doing so.

Like I said, I've got both on wish list, just not sure which is first.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PAP Cap looks good but the fabric will be less breathable than the Knights Bridge.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,816 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 537 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 668 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 440 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,339 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 573 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 359 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.