Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chin straps (sigh)
RE: Chin straps (sigh)
(08-31-2013, 09:57 PM)JJJ Wrote: I got an elastic bandage today, but it's not going well. That is, I can wrap it under my chin and over my head correctly, but no matter how I try to attach a back strap the main strap just slides off my head in front of my face. I think I need to sit in a chair and have a second person figure out the placement and arrangement of the back strap(s).

Also, the elastic bandage material is way too wimpy, plus I can tell it's going to lose its elasticity quickly from being stretched over and over again.

I also just ordered the SP-CHADJ. It was only $15.95 with free shipping. It looks like it might work, so worth giving it a shot.

I use a 3 inch non-adhesive Ace bandage. I find the actual Ace brand is better than the clones. I top it around 3 times and safety pin it. Your number of turns may vary depending on head size. As it stretches, I can go from 3 turns to 3 1/2 to 4, etc.

I use 1 safety pin at the end of the outer end of the bandage and go through all three layers of bandage, and then another safety pin at the inner end of the bandage. The safety pins go on the outside of the strap, but run through all the layers. I assemble this loop in my hands, not on my head, and then safety pin it, and try it on for size.

I run it under my chin, and then sort of over my ears to the top back of my head. Sort of the "great circle" route, so it doesn't want to slip forwards or backwards. Putting the headgear on over the chin strap helps keep it in place.

It's a bit of a trick to get all 3 layers to go on at the same time and align, but I can do it in my sleep now.

I do sleep in a recliner, which probably helps keep it in place. I get maybe 3 months before it's stretched out too much, and I throw it away.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2013, 04:09 AM)archangle Wrote: I use a 3 inch non-adhesive Ace bandage. I find the actual Ace brand is better than the clones. I top it around 3 times and safety pin it. Your number of turns may vary depending on head size. As it stretches, I can go from 3 turns to 3 1/2 to 4, etc.

I use 1 safety pin at the end of the outer end of the bandage and go through all three layers of bandage, and then another safety pin at the inner end of the bandage. The safety pins go on the outside of the strap, but run through all the layers. I assemble this loop in my hands, not on my head, and then safety pin it, and try it on for size.
I run it under my chin, and then sort of over my ears to the top back of my head. Sort of the "great circle" route, so it doesn't want to slip forwards or backwards. Putting the headgear on over the chin strap helps keep it in place.
It's a bit of a trick to get all 3 layers to go on at the same time and align, but I can do it in my sleep now.
I do sleep in a recliner, which probably helps keep it in place. I get maybe 3 months before it's stretched out too much, and I throw it away.

Thanks for the report of your methodology.

I looked at all the sizes in the store and decided on 2 inch (5 cm) because it just seemed better for under my chin. I did discover that I can get it firm enough by wrapping it three times, just as you did. But I don't want to have to wrap it up every night before going to bed. I tried to wrap it around three times just once and safety pin it in a couple of places so all I have to do is pull it on when I go to bed.

The difficult part is that, no matter how I place it on my head (and I tried every spot on top), it is too easy for it to come off forward. Bear in mind that as soon as I go to sleep I begin calisthenics.

What I need is a back strap, and after thinking about it I have decided that the back strap should not be elastic. I tried to make some straps out of scraps of fabric, but nothing worked very well. In fact, I think I need two back straps, making kind of an X with my ears just forward of the center of the X.

I have ordered the SP-CHADJ and we'll see how it goes. However, I have not given up completely on the idea of the elastic bandage. I still have a couple of tricks up my sleeve:

1) There is a dusty fabric store not far from me that is run by an old lady, It has been there for decades, has all manner of fabrics that you never find in big box stores. Moreover, the old lady loves to take time to aid a helpless man with fabric issues. I bet she has some elastic fabric that would make the ACE stuff look like trash.

2) I participate in a computer group that will be having a meeting on the 15th. There is a lady who attends regularly, and she is a master with a sewing machine. She amazes me - makes all her own clothes. And she owes me favors. If I haven't come to a solution by the 15th I will e-mail her ahead of time, perhaps get some elastic material from the fabric store and, with her assistance, probably come up with something that works.

Post Reply Post Reply
For ideas on how to make one look at the way a helmet liner is designed. You essentially want a network of straps that goes around and over your head, with a strap attached that goes under your chin.

I think you'll be happy with the SP-CHADJ. You can put it on over your mask which will help keep your mask in place.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2013, 11:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I think you'll be happy with the SP-CHADJ. You can put it on over your mask which will help keep your mask in place.

The SP-CHADJ has arriven. Extremely fast shipping from Supplier #6, with cheap price ($15.95), and free shipping from Sleepster's home town.

I tried it on and it seems not bad, reasonably comfortable. (I put it on backwards the first time; if you get one, read the instructions.) I like the fact that I can put it on and take it off without having to readjust it. Tonight will be my first time with it - cross your fingers for me. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Just ordered the SP-CHADJ myself. Let's hope this one works Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
That chin strap is easy to put on backwards, as JJJ discovered.

It's also helpful to sit in a chair and have someone help you get it adjusted properly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much JJJ and all the rest who've posted about chin straps. I'm currently using a self sticking sports wrap to keep my jaw shut until my chin strap arrives (you can read my whole cpap story on the "Your personal CPAP success story--Post here" thread if you're adventurous). It's amazing I didn't think of this before as it really helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was the eighth night with the SP-CHADJ. There is good news and bad news. The good news is that I find it very comfortable and it hasn't come off once. The bad news is that my leaks are way out of control. Only one night did I have leaks under 24L, and my averages were 95% 34.6 and maximum 42.0. Not acceptable.

My theory is that my first chin strap is made of about 3.5 inch wide elastic material that goes up over the head. The material is wide enough that it is probably extending out in front of my face enough to hold the mask onto my face. The SP-CHADJ just has a thin strap going up over the head; not enough fabric on top of the mask.

Back to the drawing board. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ

Can you dye the chin strap that works for you so it doesn't show dirt? Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2013, 09:26 PM)JJJ Wrote: My theory is that my first chin strap is made of about 3.5 inch wide elastic material that goes up over the head. The material is wide enough that it is probably extending out in front of my face enough to hold the mask onto my face. The SP-CHADJ just has a thin strap going up over the head; not enough fabric on top of the mask.

Back to the drawing board. Sad

It looks like you're going to need a custom made chin strap. Perhaps you can sew a wider piece of fabric to the top strap.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 597 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,107 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 497 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 299 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.